Help picking a new freeride board for an intermediate-advanced rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help picking a new freeride board for an intermediate-advanced rider

Hey everyone, I'm looking to finally upgrade from my first board. I'm 5'9" (175cm) and 165 pounds. I currently ride a 2007 nitro pantera 157. My skill level is intermediate-advanced (I feel pretty comfortable and can carve on all blues and most blacks).

Last season I tried a friend's new arbor element 161, and loved it; I definitely felt more confident going much faster than I normally do, and never felt like I was at risk of catching an edge.

What's the community's consensus on the arbor element? Is my positive experience more of a result of riding a newer board (with supposedly better technology)? Or because it was a longer board? Are there any suggestions or comments in general to this or recommendations on other boards?

I don't do much freestyle riding and I mostly do groomed runs and sometimes a bit of powder.

I'm planning on demoing a board or two to get a sense of what I might want to buy. Any input or feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by wua05; 02-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.
wua05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Coming from a stiff camber board like the pantera; anything that picks your contact points off the snow is going to feel much less catchy. Thats is more forgiving and easier to ride. Lots of new boards are like that.

The Arbor boards are good ones, mostly rocker, If you liked the element its tough to go wrong there.

Boards I would also try- Lib tech Banana Magic or T-Rice Pro or Hot knife, Salomon mans board or time machine, rossignol one magtek, K2 Slayblade or happy hour, capita BSoD, never summer cobra or Heritage, Burton Custom Flying V or sherlock, Flow Rush ABT or Drifter, Ride Wild life or machete GT, Rome Agent Rocker, theres probably more i cant think of any.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
Coming from a stiff camber board like the pantera; anything that picks your contact points off the snow is going to feel much less catchy. Thats is more forgiving and easier to ride. Lots of new boards are like that.

The Arbor boards are good ones, mostly rocker, If you liked the element its tough to go wrong there.

Boards I would also try- Lib tech Banana Magic or T-Rice Pro or Hot knife, Salomon mans board or time machine, rossignol one magtek, K2 Slayblade or happy hour, capita BSoD, never summer cobra or Heritage, Burton Custom Flying V or sherlock, Flow Rush ABT or Drifter, Ride Wild life or machete GT, Rome Agent Rocker, theres probably more i cant think of any.
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked a little more into the lib tech boards that you mentioned - it looks like they are all some sort of camber hybrid. How do you think they'll ride compared to the element? My interpretation of what I've read is that the camber hybrids will give a bit more stability at high speeds while still preventing edge catching a bit. Is this accurate? I was going pretty fast on the element and it seemed to be pretty stable.

I'll be realistically doing mostly groomers. Is magne traction something that will legitimately help riding groomers with a bit of ice here and there?
wua05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hot knife is a camber dominant board.

You'd love that one on groomers
ek9max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First, find out whether your friend had a rocker or camber Element. Up until this year I believe the element came in both. It'll be RX or CX or just lay the board somewhere flat and check it.

If you love the board, I highly recommend going with it.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote