Capita Horrorscope??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Capita Horrorscope???

im about 5'7, 170lbs fat winter weight

anyways, i currently ride a 147 lib tech box scratcher, and i find this board "stable" enough to bomb down trails (ideally groomed trails)

anyways, im considering picking up a capita horrorscope... at a 147 size? figure maybe i can learn tricks a little faster with a softer board? will this board be too soft to bomb down trails?
NSXRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXRguy View Post
im about 5'7, 170lbs fat winter weight

anyways, i currently ride a 147 lib tech box scratcher, and i find this board "stable" enough to bomb down trails (ideally groomed trails)

anyways, im considering picking up a capita horrorscope... at a 147 size? figure maybe i can learn tricks a little faster with a softer board? will this board be too soft to bomb down trails?
This particular board got a lot softer after 2011. So many better options for all mountain groomer riding.

I have a 2010 sierrascope 152 (stiffer version of the horrosrcope) that I no longer ride. It's in pretty good shape and good for all around. Willing to part with it for cheap if you're interested.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I found that board unstable at only moderate speeds in a 155 and I'm 20lbs lighter than you.

At your weight even for jibsticks I'd be sizing you closer to 152. Anything smaller than that and you're honestly doing more work than you need to in order to do what you want.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm 5'6 + 165lbs so I'm almost identical height/weight as you. I've been riding a 150 GNU Park Pickle for about 2 years, which is again very similar to your 147 box scratcher.

If strictly jibbing in the park, I feel that my pickle is like magic. It's easy to spin on and off features, super fun doing ground tricks, and is pretty decent at fast speeds and even powder's not that bad. But carving felt really weird with this board. I didn't really have anything to compare with at the time but I cannot get the deep aggressive turns or ride as fast as my friends, so I thought that maybe the short length, magne traction side cut, and reverse camber profile all had something to do with it.

Later I got a 154cm Capita Defenders of Awesome, it's a full camber board with rockered nose/tail just so that it can stay afloat better in powder. Let me just give you my experience for reference (because I don't know your riding style and my experience might not apply to you)... But for me, switching to this board was absolutely better in every single way possible. It only took slightly more effort for tricks but it's just something I quickly got used to. I felt really happy with the increase in board size which sacrificed an almost unnoticeable amount of effort to initiate tricks but gave me much better ollie power and stability off bigger kickers. I didn't feel any difference pressing or spinning onto features to be honest after I got used to the board's new length and stiffness.

Then in terms of the freeriding/all mountain portion the upgrade was way better as well. I can hold much more aggressive carves on groomers, riding fast felt stable, and again... ollie or popping with this board was like twice as powerful as the shorter pickle.

Ground tricks though was slightly different. On the pickle I can basically press infinitely with combinations of 180s or 360s with almost no effort. On the 154 DOA I need to really make sure I have the right movements or the board will want to stay on the ground. However, all my tricks felt more stylish and more clean when I'm using the 154 DOA. The best comparison I can think of is if you youtube Ryan Knapton vs some Japanese "Ground Tricks Masters". Equally fun.

If you ride similar to me then I really recommend you trying out a 152 or 154 board and see the difference. I felt like a shorter board helped when I first started to learn jibbing but a longer and stiffer board is much better after a while.
Littlebigdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

i saw that horrorscope has a 151W... maybe this would be a better fit since the wider board should help with stability?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

littlebigdreams... i think that if you were purposely trying to bomb down runs with the pickle, you eventually would get used to it and feel somewhat comfortable on it... i can go 55+ (according to a speed app) on the 147 box scratcher and it feels "fine" as long as the runs are somewhat groomed
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXRguy View Post
i saw that horrorscope has a 151W... maybe this would be a better fit since the wider board should help with stability?
The issue with its stabity is due the camber profile. It's flat to rocker and the rocker starts just INSIDE of your foot. So if you weight one foot you have now lifted pressure off 60% of your effective edge. No edge means no stability.

If you're set on Capita you're better off on an Outdoor, Indoor, or Ultra and there are tons of better options than the Horror from other brands as well.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote