Off-Piste Board Assistance - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Off-Piste Board Assistance

Hey ladies and gents of much snowboarding knowledge, I'm in need of some help choosing a board for next season(maybe for the remainder of this season if I get too anxious) that is great for riding in powder and trees, as these areas have become my favorite things to do my first season living here in Colorado, but is still a joy to ride around on the groomers or kicker lines if it's one of those kinda days. I've been looking around A LOT, 'researching' ones that seem to fit my bill and mostly reading a lot of what you all have said about particular boards.

This board will be a quiver board so it doesn't have to be THE greatest all mountain board ever created, I'm actually leaning toward a few powder designed boards that do well on piste, to give you some reference point of what is going through my head. And with that in mind I have the boards I was primarily considering with my beliefs/concerns about them for you to debunk or confirm.

If you don't want to read any of that ^^^ just start hear and lemme know what you think is a good pow/tree board that is fun for all-day use too

Arbor Coda(2014-for the improved tip and tail)
Expectations
-Pure rocker so good float expected and I've never owned a pure rocker so it'll be good to get used to riding one and having one for when it is called upon
-maneuverability
Concerns
-Is float actually good enough to spend a lot of time strictly riding powder?
-Does The System provide as good edge hold as Arbor claims? I've seen differing views on this and am coming from boards with edge hold for days so it is a concern of mine.

Arbor Element/Roundhouse(2014-same as up there^^^) -- I wear a size 12 boot so may need to go with the mid-wide Roundhouse
Pretty much the same as above except I still don't know for sure which board, Coda or Element/Roundhouse, is actually stiffer. Arbor says the Coda has a better chance in sidecountry and whatnot but most of what I've heard people say is that the Coda is softer and more playful than the Element/Roundhouse.

GNU Billy Goat -- probably not gonna go with this but it was still on my list
Expectations
-Everyone and their mother loves this board
-The C3 Camber Profile --I know that sounds contradictory to what I just said above about rocker but, hey, everyone is stoked on this board.
Concerns
-Float
-Is Magne-Traction actually too grippy

Jones Flagship -- again, after more speculation, I have started to not consider this board that much but a lot of people really like it so maybe you'll have something to say about it.
Expectations
-FAST
-great float even with camber
-camber makes it good for still running around the groomed runs if it comes down to that
Concerns
-too fast(is that a thing?) I don't think I'll be able to whip through the trees as fast as this thing will want me to.
-Maneuverability, think I'll need a slightly longer board if I get the flagship
-does it still have topsheet issues? most people have said that it is not a problem, just making sure.

Jones Hovercraft(2014-didn't Jones switch away from Nidecker this year?) also for only $450!!!!! compared to the other boards listed
Expectations
-FLOAT
-short, surfy feel, maneuverable
-still has camber under feet so I've heard and seen it's not bad at all if you end up on a groomer(definitely a quiver board but I'm totally fine with that in the case of this board)
Concerns
-nothing really pertaining to the board except that this is for sure the most niche-board on this list

If you're still reading, I hope I didn't bore you too much and thanks for your time. Help out if you can and if you've got any binding suggestions for the board you support that'd be awesome too; if you're thinking sorta the same thing I am about a more powder designed board, don't worry about thread jacking or asking about other decks and ask your questions! I like to see what the guys and gals on here have to say about this stuff.

Thanks again!

TL: DR Arbor Coda, Arbor Element/Roundhouse, GNU Goat, Jones Flagship, or Jones Hovercraft?

Last edited by Naturesabre; 02-05-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Naturesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd drop the Hovercraft unless you're looking for a pure pow stick.

One that you didn't have on your list but seems to fit the bill would be the Capita Totally FK'N Awesome.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Can only comment on the Flagship. I love how these Jones boards ride (Flagship and Solution), feel "at home" with them. I've the '13, used it 50 times last season in crowded liftlines, slush, very cold (-20C), a.s.o. not the slightest topsheet issue.

It's not so much that the board is too fast, it's more that it's too much fun to ride fast with it . Stability and edge to edge quickness are really it's thing. Bomb groomers, carve and hit pow are the pros. Cons is its unvorgivingness if you're in a mogul run. I've no clue how it would perform in trees, I never ride trees...

Not sure if you'd have to get a bigger size... it's nose has a very early rising rocker giving great float. Been in deep fresh and never had to stay in the backseat (158cm x 120lbs).

Best would be to demo one and check if it's for you.

BTW: props for doing such an elaborate post

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 02-05-2014 at 06:12 PM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would put the 14 K2 turbo dream some where near the top of this list for riding fresh snow. Definitely want a wide one as its a fairly narrow board already. Really good pow focused all mountain board. Also the capita BSoD is a similar designed board that is really good too.

Also instead of the billy goat; The Beast is a much better powder board, and still C3. I really think its not the magnetraction specifically that make them feel grippy but the combo with a radial sidecut shape rather than progressive or quadratic. Radial sidecuts hook sharper at the end of a carve and the combo with magnetraction really digs into the snow and makes it harder to exit the turn, some hate this, others get used to it and like it. If you aren't doing hard carving on firm snow you will never notice it.

If you already have a true twin and switch riding in said pow is not important then you are loosing out with the arbors, they are not really quiver boards but more like a one board to do it all.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
...not the slightest topsheet issue.

It's not so much that the board is too fast, it's more that it's too much fun to ride fast with it . Stability and edge to edge quickness are really it's thing. Bomb groomers, carve and hit pow are the pros. Cons is its unvorgivingness if you're in a mogul run. I've no clue how it would perform in trees, I never ride trees...

Not sure if you'd have to get a bigger size... it's nose has a very early rising rocker giving great float. Been in deep fresh and never had to stay in the backseat (158cm x 120lbs).
Thanks for the info on the Flagship. You made things more difficult as now I'm really looking at it again haha. I really love the jones' and arbors so the Flagship is definitely an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
Also instead of the billy goat; The Beast is a much better powder board, and still C3.

If you already have a true twin and switch riding in said pow is not important then you are loosing out with the arbors, they are not really quiver boards but more like a one board to do it all.
Appreciate the recommendations. The Beast looks awesome and replaces the Billy Goat perfectly; I very much so might end up on the Beast in the long run, with that setback and the huge nose it'll float all shiny-like and magnetraction will serve well for groomers. Sweet. I'll take the arbors off for sure, they're just so beautiful and seem like so much fun! I'll pick one up one day but you're right. I already ride a twin and wasn't planning on having a twin for the powder. Thanks.

Last edited by Naturesabre; 02-05-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Been in deep fresh and never had to stay in the backseat (158cm x 120lbs).
158 at 120? Yeah, I'd say you don't have any float issues!

I've got almost 80 pounds on you and my Never Summer Cobra is a 158. My powder board is a Capita Charlie Slasher and it's a 164.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Charlie Slasher seems legit. There are just too many awesome boards out there. Oh yeah and I looked at a Capita TFA, a buddy has one. It doesn't seem like what I want totally but Imma try it out this weekend probably
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I really wanna spend some more time on the TFA. Kinda growing tired of NS's RC. I still like it, just ready to switch it up to something different. I love the NS Cobra, but it's technically my buddy's. He and I sorta traded my Proto for his Cobra, but he seems to be waffling on it even though he greatly prefers my Proto. If he wants to go through with the trade and be done with it, I'll keep the Cobra, but if he wants his Cobra back I'm gonna sell that Proto and probably pickup either a Capita TFA or K2 Turbo Dream. Wanna spend a little more time on both, but unfortunately don't know anyone who owns either and Loveland doesn't carry either brand to demo. Actually, I'm gonna just start another thread for that so that this one doesn't get side tracked. Carry on!

And oh yeah, the Charlie Slasher is a super legit pow stick. Unsinkable and still plenty capable of bombing groomers on your way to the stashes. But kinda like the Hovercraft, it's just not what you're looking for.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 02-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

burton juice wagon, if it's in your size, is really good and cheap this year
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Default Board surface calculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
158 at 120? Yeah, I'd say you don't have any float issues!
that's why I mentioned the numbers - to indicate the potential pinch of salt.

To go wider and not longer for a pow board (to avoid puristical discussions: read as a board I use for pow and not me claiming its a pow specific board) would be a solution as well, yes. But Im limited to a cutoff of about 25mm waist with my feet (US mens 7 boot size), everything wider feels boat-ish, thus I went for a rather long but rather narrow board. Not saying this is a legit method, just saying it worked for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I've got almost 80 pounds on you and my Never Summer Cobra is a 158. My powder board is a Capita Charlie Slasher and it's a 164.
Would be very interesting (no insinuation, just pure curiosity) to know, how big the kg/cm2 ratio difference actually is comparing your Charlie Slasher 164 (with its overall wide shape) to my Flagship 158.

Any math nerds/engineers around who could calculate/estimate the surface of the boards? (would be very interested in the surface of the Flagship 164 - or the formula you use - as well)

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote