Oh YEAH, yet another newbie! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
jikastew

Default Oh YEAH, yet another newbie!

Cheers ya'll.

Found this forum randomly....very nice.

So, I started snowboarding this year after many years of skiing. I picked it up pretty well on my 2nd run. Needless to say, I improved as the day went on. I would consider myself to be more than a beginner at this point as I picked it up pretty fast. I had so much fun, actually, that I'm going to pick up a board. I might rent for a trip to Vail in March, or I might buy a board if the price is right at some point. So, I need some recs. Of course, I have 20 snowboarders giving me info that seems to contradict.....

Here's my stats!

Male, 5'8 1/2 age 30
Weight 155 to 175 depending on the time of the year. No joke. I'm in pretty good shape otherwise.
Type of skiing: general mountain, small jumps. No pipe stuff (YET)
Experience: I will progress fairly rapidly it seems, I don't want to buy another board next year.
Feet 10 1/2 shoes. Tried on some Burton Modo 10s, today......maybe a bit big, but not much. Felt good.

So if I took the dive and got some equipment......I'd like some recs if ya'll wouldn't mind.

Boards: I've heard everything from getting a Burton Bullet to Lib Banana to Arbor A-Frame. What the heck?
Size board: I've heard everything from 154 to 161. My guess would be about 158.
Boots: I liked the Burton Modos, but who knows, I'll have to try others on when in the Vail area.
Bindings: Who knows.

Help a brother out.......

Thanks in advance~!

Jika
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
ampedxpinoy

i would recommend buying from a shop with a generous return policy. porterstahoe and dogfunk both have pretty good return policies. if you don't like it after you use it, just return it. I just picked up my forum recon board 156W. Seemed to be a very well priced beginner/intermediate board, and can even be used for advanced riders. Some have said it was rated one of the best boards under $400. pretty cheap, only $210. for your boot size doesn't look like you need a wide board, just the standard waist width will be fine.

my boots are thirtytwo lashed, which seem to be praised by most, hated by a few for durability. I have also hear the rome folsums are pretty good boots. These 32 lashed boots are incredibly light. Also supposedly has silver lining technology creating a natural antibacterial preventing odors.

also just picked up rome targa bindings. this is my first set up. If you are nitpicky about how everything feels, then rome bindings offer plenty of adjustments.
everything does depend on your budget. I had a low budget, and did not want to have to upgrade soon either. I spent just shy of $500. I have not used any of this equipment, but comparing it to some of the decent rentals I have had, they seem better. Boots are lighter and fit more comfortable, bindings have 0 pressure points, very well distributed.

Last edited by ampedxpinoy; 01-31-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
jikastew

My budget isn't too constricted. I'll spend what I need to in order to get something I won't have to replace in a year or two.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
jikastew

So, I'm looking at a variety of boards. I'm basically thinking about a nice all-mountain board that I could eventually use a bit in the park.

Here's a couple I like the reviews of thus far or have been recommended.

1. Lib Tech - TRS MTX
2. K2 Darkstar
3. Capita ScareMaster
4. Never Summer SL-R
5. Arbor Element

I'll work on bindings tomorrow.

Last edited by jikastew; 02-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
jikastew

I went with K2 Formula bindings.

I'm guessing any of the boards I listed would do the job. Anyone have experience with them? I've searched and really haven't noted any serious problems reported, minus a couple who don't like MTX tech too much.

Damn, that Arbor element is......suhweet looking.........
Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Go with the Scaremaster. I know people who ride that board and absolutely love it. If not the scaremaster, Never Summer is a really good all mountain board.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default I'm a recent GNU/Lib-tech believer.

I demoed a 159 TRS all last week in everything. I also rode a 156 skate banana the first day. I would have got it in a 159 if they had it. Banana was flexier than the TRS.
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I went with the SL-R to give this whole rocker thing a try, amazing board. If you can still find one(i think they are probably going to be starting their 2010 production soon?) i would recommend it...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
kMc

I also have a never summer, an infinity-r, the girls version of the sl-r, i love it, i mostly freeride but just started hitting the park and it is great. but, Sierrasnowboard.com has the scaremaster for under $200 today. thought id throw that out there. i also love my union force bindings, though they are mens
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote