Is a wide board better for park - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Is a wide board better for park

I was getting ready to buy a park deck and was wondering if a wide is better for park? I noticed that the burton team all seem to use a wide so it got me wondering. There doesn't seem to be any difference on the specs between a wide a regular so some advice would be nice. Yes I meant to rhyme.

I'm looking at a Forum Destroyer Double Dog if it makes a difference

Last edited by SnowOwl; 02-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowOwl View Post
I was getting ready to buy a park deck and was wondering if a wide is better for park? I noticed that the burton team all seem to use a wide so it got me wondering. I'm looking at a Forum Destroyer Double Dog 154. There doesn't seem to be any difference on the specs between a wide a regular so some advice would be nice. Yes I meant to rhyme.
What size foot do you have? You will gain stability on jumps with a wider deck but lose the agility for spins. Depends on how much you overhang and if bootdrag is an issue if it would be beneficial.
Fewdfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Like mentioned, it depends on the size of your boot.. if you're like a 12 or 13, then YES WIDE. If not, I wouldn't recommend it.
I was a size 11 with a non wide park board, and now I'm a size 12 with a Wide park board, and honestly I can't tell much of a difference
JPOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well to answer my boot is a 10 currently. I was asking for reasons aside from toe drag. Like I noted, the burton team all seem to use a wide and I doubt they're all size 11+. Just wondering if a wide dominated over a regular in the park. If not then ill just focus on a regular.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I realize I didn't word it entirely right. What I meant was is it uncommon to get a board that would normally be too small but would make up for the flex n what not by getting a wide to compensate
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

They all probably need wide boards because they are all riding super short park sticks.

Getting a wide board means every bit of energy or effort put into the board needs to be greater to get it on edge (vs. a normal width one) so I can see this being an advantage when riding rails/boxes. You would have to be more unbalanced to get the board to slip out from under you.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
They all probably need wide boards because they are all riding super short park sticks.

Getting a wide board means every bit of energy or effort put into the board needs to be greater to get it on edge (vs. a normal width one) so I can see this being an advantage when riding rails/boxes. You would have to be more unbalanced to get the board to slip out from under you.
This.

I noticed this as well when I'd use my buddies park star wide. It was way more stable when we were hitting our practice bars and we were fairly certain it was a result of it being a wide.

I weigh 165-170

Think a 154 wide would be a decent compensation or do you think that's still too big of a board for me to utilize a wide

Cm waist. Lbs. bootsize
Destroyer DoubleDog 148 244 95-165 7-9
Destroyer DoubleDog 152 246 115-190 7-9
Destroyer DoubleDog 154 248 140-200 7-9
Destroyer DoubleDog 156 249 140-200 7-9
Destroyer DoubleDog 158 250 155-210+ 7-9
Destroyer DoubleDog Wide 154 253 140-200 7-9
Destroyer DoubleDog Wide 156 254 140-200 9.5-11
Destroyer DoubleDog Wide 158 256 155-210+ 9.5-11

And here's their sizing chart. According to this i need a wide by default

Last edited by SnowOwl; 02-06-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wondering if a 152 would be ideal for park....?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've ridden a wide variety of boards. With a 10.5 foot, i find a waist width of 25.5 or larger nescessary.

Wide boads can be just as agile as regular boards... if designed right. A lot of companies just take their standard board, widen it, and expect it to act the same. You need to increase sidecut a little bit to account for the additional width, There is a VERY slight amount of additional time to transition from edge to edge, and with a slight quicker sidecut, it's entirely unquantifiable.

Wider boards are less hooky coming intoa landing or just in general riding around as they tend to get your edges that much higher in the air. Easy enough to deduce as well, just look at the mathematics of triangles. Flat ground is the ground, angle is the angle of lean... wider board is going to be the same a longer leg on the triangle, giving you that much more clearance.

Pow float is increased... boards are typically faster due to better weight distribution accross the base material... the list REALLY goes on.

Disadvantages are an increase in board weight, and if not properly designed they will turn slower than their regular width equivalents.

Overall, I don't know the industry runs such skinny boards. More companies are transitioning into mid-wide size boards... but so many companies are still way behind.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post

Wide boads can be just as agile as regular boards... if designed right.
I completely disagree with that statement, unless you think Libtech and Ride might not have designed their wide boards properly. There is a huge difference in agility you can really notice where it counts like in the trees. I mean you do get used to it and can compensate but a side by side comparison it's very obvious. If you don't believe me you are welcome to try my Libs, a 61 and 61w Darkseries and tell me your opinion. I got size 11's BTW

Personally I would rather get a regular wide with a higher profile binging with gas pedals.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote