Board Options to add to quiver - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Options to add to quiver

Newbie here- go easy please. Male. 6'0. 185. Riding for 20 years now. Will ride all over the mtn except for the park- Steeps, groomers, moguls, off-piste, powder, etc. Mainly in UT and CO. Not a speed demon- prefer to shorter turns/quicker carving.

Current Boards are
2007 ish Rome Anthem- 162
2011 Ride Berzerker- 162W
2012 Arbor A Frame- 166
2013 NS Cobra- 158

My favorite boards are the Anthem and the Cobra. Usually take out the Berzerker in powder. The A Frame is a without a doubt a great board, but not sure if I am riding it with how it is meant to be ridden- fast and long carves.

Not sure why but I seem to add on a new board every year. One of the few advantages now that I am older.

Any thoughts on what to add to the collection. Was thinking of demoing a NS Raptor or a Lib Tech board- not sure which one yet.

Any thoughts on something to add?
RidePC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Given that you ride in UT & CO, where most years there is a decent chance of power, I would suggest you add something that is directional and tapered with a decent set back. The ride would be quite different from what you currently have.

Consider:

YES PYL
Burton Barracuda
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Given that you ride in UT & CO, where most years there is a decent chance of power, I would suggest you add something that is directional and tapered with a decent set back.
NS Cobra kind of already fits that bill.

If I were you, I'd add a true powder stick. Something like a Jones Hovercraft, Capita Charlie Slasher, or K2 Ultra Dream.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Last I checked, the cobra was a twin, with a "slight" setback.

Not tapered and not a "decent setback"

Having never ridden one, I am not familiar with the profile of the Cobra, but from what I have read about it, it may well serve up an experience similar to the YES PYL.

Given that the OP already has a very nice quiver, my suggestions were in the hope of providing him with a noticeably different riding experience that a tapered, big setback board can provide and if the Cobra can serve that up, then yes, a true pow stick would indeed be a different riding experience that his quiver cannot provide at the moment. ( Why do I sense that is about to change? )
Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

Having never ridden one, I am not familiar with the profile of the Cobra, but from what I have read about it, it may well serve up an experience similar to the YES PYL.

Given that the OP already has a very nice quiver, my suggestions were in the hope of providing him with a noticeably different riding experience that a tapered, big setback board can provide and if the Cobra can serve that up, then yes, a true pow stick would indeed be a different riding experience that his quiver cannot provide at the moment. ( Why do I sense that is about to change? )
I have 2 boards. the Arbor A-Frame for carving and all mountain slashing, and the Hovercraft for deep days without the leg burn. I would love a Venture board...
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

You're off on the Cobra. It's a directional board with setback and a spade tail. Far from a twin. If you buy a Cobra expecting a twin you're gonna be pissed.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I say thank you so very much for the insight. I based my observations re the Cobra on what was served up on their website. They use the term "slight" setback and the specs page show matching tip and tail widths. Walks like a duck, sounds like a duck...... sure "reads" like a "directional twin" to me.

I guess that just goes to prove that you have to be careful about what you can "interpret" off the marketing hype and stats page.

To the OP, sorry to have executed a minor highjack of your thread. But "gorge" and I do agree on the Pow Stick. There are a number of great ones out there, so demo, demo, demo and find the one that pushes your buttons.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've spent a good amount of time on the Cobra and it rides nothing like a twin.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

No Problem.

Going to get down to a 3 board quiver.

Cobra, Anthem, and per suggestion a powder board. Thinking of the Jones Hovercraft in 160. Thoughts on this board or other alternatives? I would like this powder board to have some non powder capabilities.

Gonna sell the A Frame- I just dont ride it properly. Gonna use the Berzerker for late season rocks.

Next season I will look for a new camber board to replace the Anthem- maybe the custom x if I can find one on discount at very end of season.

Thanks again.
RidePC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Can you demo a few powder/freeride boards? Some of the ones on my shortlist (or that I currently own)

Prior Khyber (or Fissle or Pow Stick)
Burton Landlord
Virus Avalanche FLP AFT ( consider it a pow-like board due to the significant taper (20 mm) and setback (at least 25 mm))
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote