K2 Turbo Dream vs. Capita TFA - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default K2 Turbo Dream vs. Capita TFA

I've been riding a lot of Never Summer RC boards for the past 3-4 seasons and I'm just kind of ready for something else. I started out on an Evo, then added a Heritage, then sold them both and grabbed a Proto, and I'm currently on a Cobra. I'm always swapping boards as I just get bored with shit. Well, I think I'm to the point where I'm just bored with RC for the time being. I kind of hate to get away from NS because of my affinity for swapping out boards. I can usually buy them late in the season, ride them for the rest of that season and half of the next then turn around and sell them for pretty much what I bought them for. The Cobra is by far my favorite of the bunch so far, but even though I've spend far less time on it than any of the others, I'm already over it. That's why I think I'm just kind of over RC for a little while. Time for something different.

Currently considering the two boards in the title. I'm pretty much a freerider who enjoys a fun ride. Meaning I don't want an all out freeride plank. I like a lively board with some playfulness to it, but you won't see my riding too many rails. Steeps, trees, natural hits, etc. is where you'll find me on the mountain.

Curious to hear from posters who've spent significant time on one or both boards. I've taken a couple of runs on a TFA, but never had a chance to jump on a Turbo Dream. Let's hear it!

VS.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 02-05-2014 at 10:18 PM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Can't help you but I'm also interested to see opinions. I've been riding something flat or rocker in the middle for 3-4 years now (NS RC, arbor rocker, K2 www, rome shank). Getting bored and want something new, hence looking at K2 Lifted (happy hour, slayblade) or Lib C3. Want to get back on something camber'ish, even rock/cam, to see what I've been missing if anything.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

how'd you like the TFA??? and what size is your cobra....for future purchase reference.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you are riding a lot of fresh snow and switch isn't a priority, get the turbo dream.

If you need a true twin to ride switch perfectly get the TFA.

the rocker on the turbo makes you dig a little deeper to really load up ollies, but keeps the ride playful. I own this board, it rides nice, i did a longer review in the board reviews section.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The TFA isn't a true twin. That's the DOA. Gonna go check out your Turbo Dream review.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've got the TD '12. Honestly it's been my favorite board so far. I use a 159 and it's my pow/bomber board but so far, I've had the best day of the year using my TD and that's over my Lib Tech Attack Banana. The flat base with rocker at the tips makes it really stable while bombing and landing jumps. I even learned rails on it even though it's not really a jib board. It has pretty decent pop, and I really like the harshmellow, especially when you're picking up high speeds.
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Can't help you but I'm also interested to see opinions. I've been riding something flat or rocker in the middle for 3-4 years now (NS RC, arbor rocker, K2 www, rome shank). Getting bored and want something new, hence looking at K2 Lifted (happy hour, slayblade) or Lib C3. Want to get back on something camber'ish, even rock/cam, to see what I've been missing if anything.
Man, I have that same problem. Snowboard boredom.

I am demoing a Hot Knife tomorrow. Would like to hear your review on lifted tech from K2.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I've been riding a lot of Never Summer RC boards for the past 3-4 seasons and I'm just kind of ready for something else. I started out on an Evo, then added a Heritage, then sold them both and grabbed a Proto, and I'm currently on a Cobra. I'm always swapping boards as I just get bored with shit. Well, I think I'm to the point where I'm just bored with RC for the time being. I kind of hate to get away from NS because of my affinity for swapping out boards. I can usually buy them late in the season, ride them for the rest of that season and half of the next then turn around and sell them for pretty much what I bought them for. The Cobra is by far my favorite of the bunch so far, but even though I've spend far less time on it than any of the others, I'm already over it. That's why I think I'm just kind of over RC for a little while. Time for something different.

Currently considering the two boards in the title. I'm pretty much a freerider who enjoys a fun ride. Meaning I don't want an all out freeride plank. I like a lively board with some playfulness to it, but you won't see my riding too many rails. Steeps, trees, natural hits, etc. is where you'll find me on the mountain.

Curious to hear from posters who've spent significant time on one or both boards. I've taken a couple of runs on a TFA, but never had a chance to jump on a Turbo Dream. Let's hear it!

VS.

Linville - I rode a black snowboard of death in Kicking Horse for two days. While I enjoyed it in the morning, once things got rutted out (granted, it snowed a foot, so it got pretty ugly after being ridden out), the board got bounced everywhere.

I would suggest going the Turbo Dream route. I rode it 4 years ago, and really liked the board. Has that harshmellow for dampening to help reduce that crap.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, the BSOD has never had a reputation for being damp. The TFA is supposed to be more damp. I have a Charlie Slasher already and have had no issues riding it in chopped up pow, chunder, etc.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My main concern about the Turbo Dream is pop. My main concern with the TFA is that it'll be too much like old school positive camber and that it may be stiffer than what I'm looking for. Capita rates it at a 7 which worries me a bit since my Charlie Slasher is rated at a 6 and that board is pretty damn stiff. Then again, it's a 164 and I'll be looking in the 158-159 range for this board. What draws me to the TFA is the mild camber between the bindings transitioning to a reverse camber out past the inserts. What I'm imagining is the grip of camber without the catchiness. I've taken two whole runs on the TFA and both were just bomber runs. Couldn't tell you much about it other than it holds a mean edge at speed.