My Beginner Experience - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Starrin

Default My Beginner Experience

So last weekend I went snowboarding with my 7 year old daughter for the first time.

We both rented equipment and took lessons - spent the entire day working on our toe and heel turns. Until the end of the day we could both go down the 'beginner slope' without any real danger to ourselves. We were hooked at that moment and both loved it. So as the week went on ... both my daughter and I just kept talking about boarding ... so we decided to buy our own equipment. I know many might think ... 'you should wait' ... but we are both impulsive when we find a good thing.

So we hooked her up with some nice Burton boots, Rossignol board. Today she was fabulous with it ... she now has a new name "shred-a-saurus". She took a private lesson - at the end the instructor was just awe struck that this was her second time out. He asked if he could go out with us as he seemed to enjoy our company -- so we went on a couple runs.

So to my equipment -- I went over a number of options and not being a very budget conscience person -- I just decided to go for a bunch of high end stuff....
I was not talked into it by any stretch. So I got a Burton Vapor, Some Burton Boots (forget the kind but the felt the best), C02 Est Bindings. The shop gave me some great prices ... pretty much 35% off everything. Now the my major concern was that reading many of the posts here - there is a sense that a beginner should not go down this path as many of the higher end boards will work against a rider.

Now the big thing that was going through my mind was the size of the board (the guys at the shop definitely wanted me to try it and if I did not like it I could exchange). I am 5'10" and 185 Ibs (in my mid 30s), size 11 boot. That said, I have a 162 wide. I initially thought 158 was the one -- but here is the thing, this was my second time out and this board was amazing. I had no problems with my turns or stops - and the board and bindings performed great. Now it is very likely that any number of other boards would offer the same -- however this board is very lightweight which was the main appeal to me.

Now I am expert by any stretch - but I would be interested in knowing if people felt that this size of board would ultimately be holding me back from anything. I am only doing freestyle riding no park.

I do want to give a huge thank you for the people who support this forum - it is a great source of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKMX824

Nah man I think your set, on those POW days your board will rip on through, if your not going park that much your fine.

I am glad you and your daughter found such a great comman intrest, snowboarding is a great sport.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't even worry about it man. That board sounds perfect for you. I'm glad u decided to spend some money on your first set up. I think that's where alot of beginners go wrong. The more money u put into it, the better experinece your going to have.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly i dont know about the choice of a Burton Vapor..thats almost strictly for throwing huge air, in pipes or off kickers because it weighs like 1 oz...

I dont think its worth the price tag, for half that price you can get a board that does everything that can and more. Its going to kick your ass in powder and over bumpy terrain, because its not made with that in mind.

Going high end is one thing, but you basically stepped into pro rider territory with that board.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by arsenic0; 01-31-2009 at 09:27 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ya, on not a great idea to spend $$$ on one board.

If you were gonna plunk some cash down, I woulda gotten two boards for the price of the single Vapor.

But, if you like it that much, why not?
stevetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Starrin

The thing was that getting a Vapor at less than $700 seemed like a good idea - plus getting the bindings for $100 off. I guess the thing I am at a loss for is that I have nothing but a rental to compare it too ... so of course it feels wonderful. My budget is not an issue at all - and in all likelihood I will buy a second smaller board next year and really get into the differences. The way I see it - I got a nice board that is very easy to adjust the bindings on - it was working wonderful for me on the slopes.

However - when I can cut a turn much more quickly this board may be a detriment but perhaps not - I am not sure. So I will get another board next season and use both as the season moves on. For me right now the biggest thing was the boots and the bindings - now I think anyone paying attention (beginner to professional) is going to feel a difference in this area.

As far as weight - with my setup, I love the fact that it is so lightweight - obviously I am not doing the half-pipe. But I am trying to learn on it - and it seems to me that something of less weight would be more ideal and safer to ride (it is certainly easier to kick out the back into a stop - well easier than the rental). In terms of speed - yeah, the board loves to take-off - but hey it is all relative to me as the rental really wanted to take-off as well.

I am excited as I get to start off with this equipment and it really gives me a nice reference base to compare everything else. I appreciate the support -

My daughter already wants me to film her and she is picking out her songs. She shocks me everyday -- she wants 'Rage Against the Machine' (I listened to them in college and I am not sure if I want her listening to it --- well, maybe only certain songs) - she does not know the name of the band only that she hears them playing when she goes rock climbing. On a separate note, I would like to find out everyone's thoughts on keeping her momentum going - we have a skate park down the street from our house, thinking about taking her there. Her 3 year old brother is popping at the seams to get on a board and maybe I can get him going on this as well. I cannot imagine getting back on a skateboard - growing up in Arizona riding a half-pipe in 110 degree heat is where I left it - I think that time has passed for me - but I have to say how fun it is to see my own kids really get into these sports like their ol' man did 'back in the day'. The only difference now is that all of these sports are much more socially accepted than when I was 14 years old. Since I am the type that absolutely cannot stand the whole Soccer thing - with parents standing on the sideline yelling at their kids - I am trying to take a different approach of engaging in this with them as it is something that is more than just a 60 minute sideline yelling match (and then onto a play date) - this is something we can build entire vacations around for the whole family.

I digress .... thank you for the replies.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have to agree with the statement that there are better boards than the Vapor for less than the Vapor (even an on-sale Vapor). Don't mind us taking a few pot shots at it, however, we're mostly just jealous.

However, that being said, the Vapor is a killer board and I sure as hell wouldn't pass up an opportunity to ride one. If you've got the CO2 EST bindings and a Vapor, I can only imagine that this Ferrari package came with Ions or SLS boots.

Now, as far as going out and buying equipment after your first run out... Guilty here too. I came home from my first time out and my family thought I was addicted to crack or something. In one night, I went from not having the first clue about boarding to not having the second clue about boarding, but knowing I needed more of it, like oxygen.

The next day I was on Ebay, staring at a used board package that had my size board, boots, and bindings all for a steal. I was a student at the time and didn't exactly have the money for a top-of-the-line setup, but I think $200 for a Canyon 168, Moto 14, and SI-X bindings was a good deal.

I've moved on from that package to a Titan TX, K2 Cinch bindings, and Vans Cirro boots, but it served me well. If the vapor isn't throwing you any curve balls, then obviously you got a board that works for you. Not just that, you've got a board that would work for just about any boarding Olympian as well.

EDIT: I didn't see anything about you getting helmets for you or your daughter. You may want to give that option serious consideration, not only are you beginners, but it's just a good idea.

EDIT EDIT: If you ever find you don't want any of that equipment, let me know.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 02-01-2009 at 09:09 AM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea i probably would of got a different board as well for 700 lol, but it works for ya, and its sweet to see more people getting in the sport with there families. im going to take my old man out soon with my brother..thats going to be a great time. detroit news just ran a headline about moms snowboarding with there kids lol

that package is like a lambo of snowboarding lol..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

Quote:
I am only doing freestyle riding no park.
?

Well that is a really nice setup. Have fun.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysnowboard View Post
?

Well that is a really nice setup. Have fun.
im pretty sure he meant free ride..

and get a helmet!!! it has saved my life and if you want proof i can show you..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote