Flow Shifty vs. Flow Era vs. Rossi Templar Magtek - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flow Shifty vs. Flow Era vs. Rossi Templar Magtek

6'3 and 185lbs
Size 10.5 Ride boot
Intermediate rider
Mainly East coast riding, with an occasional trip out West
Ride groomers and trees when I can. Never really hit park. I'm continuing to work on my turns and want to be able to hit small natural jumps or just ollie around.

Since I'm on a budget I've narrowed it down to the boards below, which I was able to find online for a good price. Please let me know if you think these fit the bill based on my riding style. Also, I'm coming from a Ride Machete, which I enjoyed, but I want something a bit livelier. I'm also open to suggestions. Thank you!

1. Flow Shifty 157cm
2. Flow Shifty 161cm
3. Flow Era 158cm
4. Rossignol Templar Magtek 158cm
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nobody has an opinion? I find that highly unlikely!

Looking to make a purchase soon! Thanks guys!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm east coast as well and spent the whole day on a 155 Era this past weekend and I was very impressed. Felt very at home on small to medium jumps and what really surprised me was it's ability to carve for a board on the softer edge of the spectrum. I was mostly on groomers with a couple trips through the park.

I haven't ridden the others so I can't really comment on them but all of them have pretty different profiles. That Rossi might be nice for the east coast. The shifty would be last on my list just because I've ridden camber for so long and am enjoying playing with the new profiles.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Machete I'm coming from is flat, so camber would be new for me. The Rossi intrigues me because of the RCR profile and the Magnatraction. The 161 would feel more at home because I've never ridden anything less than a 160, but I'm wondering if I would feel the difference if I went to a 158.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

i'm partial to the Templar cos i have that and i really like it. Good for buttering, no problems ollieing, and i've done minor jibbing and jumps with it. Magnetraction helps too.

I'm not sure what the weight range for the 158 is, but i'm right in the middle of the weight range for mine and it doesn't feel too big or too small. 158 seems a little small for you, but you could make it work if you wanted to i guess.
ThisIsSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

the weight range for the Templar is 130-180lbs, which is below my weight. Oddly enough, the Flow Era and Shifty 158 have a weight range of 150-200lbs and 135-195, respectively. The Era is a mid-wide so the higher weight range makes sense.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd vote for the Rossi. My buddy just bought the Templar and we just got done riding 4 days in Utah (we are east coast riders). He loves the board and couldn't be happier. I have the Rossi One Magtek and I am just as happy with my board.

RCR profile leads to it feeling very stable on the mountain, and the magenetraction helps with the ice.
Flaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cool. Looks like the Rossi might the best choice. I'm just hung up on the size since I'm above the weight range and I like to rip it down groomers mostly.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sweet. Rossi's are great boards and you won't be disappointed.

Only thing is they are a little tough to butter/press and the flexpoint it towards the front of the back binding. You have to really crank to get a butter, but if you were looking for buttering you would be going for a rocker board anyway .

My friend is about 5'9" and 175lbs and he has the 155. Seemed to be a good size for him. For reference, I'm 6' and 185lbs and ride the 159 Rossi One Magtek. Neither of us ride park, so the boards are perfect for groomers/tree runs/all-mountain.
Flaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rossi's boards seem to run a little longer for some reason. I think it has to do with the RCR profile, the listed effective edge is shorter than some other boards of the same size. I was a little hesitant with getting my 153 inititally too; i was about a 151 according to most other size charts and almost every snowboard size calculator thing online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaus View Post
Only thing is they are a little tough to butter/press and the flexpoint it towards the front of the back binding. You have to really crank to get a butter, but if you were looking for buttering you would be going for a rocker board anyway .
Well that depends... I came off a soft cambered board, and found the Rossi much easier to butter. In fact the first time i did a tailpress on my Templar i fell backwards cos i used too much force to butter The RCR means the contact points are still lifted overall, but less than a full rocker. Of course i have no doubt a full rocker would butter even more easily... But once i learnt to butter on camber everything else is gold

Last edited by ThisIsSnow; 02-06-2014 at 12:20 PM.
ThisIsSnow is offline   Reply With Quote