Importance of rider weight on selecting boards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Importance of rider weight on selecting boards?

As the title showed, I've seen many videos that claimed the most important thing on choosing the right board is the rider weight range of the board.

But i'm wondering would the differences be noticed easily if you are riding a board that 's not for your weight, like riding a shorter board with lower rider weight range.

because i'm a small guy, 5'5, i'm thinking should i get a board based on the weight range or it would be fine to get a shorter board that fit my height in order to do tricks easier?
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
As the title showed, I've seen many videos that claimed the most important thing on choosing the right board is the rider weight range of the board.

But i'm wondering would the differences be noticed easily if you are riding a board that 's not for your weight, like riding a shorter board with lower rider weight range.

because i'm a small guy, 5'5, i'm thinking should i get a board based on the weight range or it would be fine to get a shorter board that fit my height in order to do tricks easier?
How would how tall you are affect the way a board rides? If you think about it it makes no sense. It's weight and foot size just like you saw.
lab49232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

No question weight is more important than height, but height matters to the extent that it relates to your stance width. For instance I have a 157 Proto HD, and with my stance I'm on the outermost boltholes. I couldn't ride a 154 because of my height (although I'd be too heavy for it as well)

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for reply.
I'm trying to get a new board for my left season, and that would be second board i've bought. I'm riding 152 cm and thinking the shorter board might be easier for me to do tricks since i've heard that freestyle rider should get shorter board. And i have no idea would the shorter board be easier for me to do tricks or it's basically the same. koz i feel it's a little hard to spin the board, like 180.
I'm actually thinking to get a GNU Carbon Credit 2014, 143 cm.
I'm confused by the official board specs. it shows that the weight range of the 143 board is 50-140+, but in other websites, the spec only shows 50-140. Should i believe the offical info that i would be okay on the board? (i'm about 165-170lb)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your board length is pretty much perfect for your weight, I think it's your technique that need work. That said getting something shorter might make it easier to spin in the short term and make something in your brain click so you can spin longer boards. But honestly I think you'd be better off practicing with the 52.
The 43 will make it easier to spin and go from edge to edge, but you lose stability at higher speeds, float in pow, and wider stances, but if your in the park all day trying 180's it won't matter too much. A 46 or 48 might be a better compromise.

Last edited by freshy; 02-06-2014 at 04:52 PM.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

i weigh 160-165 right now and i find a 154 is pretty good for tricks and all of that. i'm 5-10" so not that much taller. i do not think that a 143 will be very good for you, i have a 148 for strictly jibbing purposes, and i couldn't imagine going any lower than that at my weight for any reason. what kind of board is your 152?
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_darsh View Post
i weigh 160-165 right now and i find a 154 is pretty good for tricks and all of that. i'm 5-10" so not that much taller. i do not think that a 143 will be very good for you, i have a 148 for strictly jibbing purposes, and i couldn't imagine going any lower than that at my weight for any reason. what kind of board is your 152?
I'm riding Rome Garage Rocker as my first board.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

"Better for tricks" needs some context. Don't forget that a larger board is easier to land on.

You're too big for a 143 carbon credit.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote