heel lift? what to do? I can not fit in to boots that are any smaller. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
true_richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
What about boots that fit in the first place?
ding ding ding.

it wasn't until i was fitted by a proper boot guy at a quality shop that i even realized i have narrow ankles and should have been wearing salomon boots for their nice tight ankle fit. i tried on a handful of different boots from different brands to confirm the booty's observation and by golly he was spot on. ever since i've been wearing salomon f-24's w/o any heel lift or funky movement that shouldn't be going on. 8)

yes, i did say "by golly" - you read right. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

Some people won't be able to find boots that fit perfectly out of the box. It's not always possible to find boots that don't require some kind of work. I have really narrow ankles and extremely wide and short feet. In addition, my natural, standing up straight at attention stance has my feet ducked out about 30 degrees each. I've been riding +26/-20 lately. I literally don't think I'd be able to ski because pointing both of my feet straight ahead causes my knees to flex inwards and leads to a lot of knee strain.

I have tried, to date this year, about 18 different pairs of boots, from Salomon wides to Burtons to DCs. Not a single one, not even after heat molding or adding Superfeet or other orthotics, would 100% remove heel lift when putting all weight on the balls of my feet (lifting from the ankle) unless the boots were too small to fit the dimensions of the rest of my feet, in which case I suffered from loss of circulation, cramps and other problems.

The short, quippy answer to so many boot questions on here about "finding boots that fit right in the first place" is rather asinine and assumptive and not at all helpful to the person looking for advice.

To reply to the original poster:

If your boots are so roomy inside that you need an external ankle brace thing like you linked to, then I would take the advice of other people here (and the person who posted a comment on the item itself) and consider new boots.

Last edited by RVM; 02-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
DennisK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVM View Post
The short, quippy answer to so many boot questions on here about "finding boots that fit right in the first place" is rather asinine and assumptive and not at all helpful to the person looking for advice.
Agreed. Luckily, I have found a really good pair of boots, even then my heel lift hasn't been elminated completely. I still get it even with Superfeet insoles on tight fitting boa focus boots. It is minimal, but when i get on the lift i can still feel it.

Feet are unique, there is no boots that 100% fit your feet.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

Same experiences here. I ended up with some DC Judges that I'm very happy with. Once the liners pack out a bit more I'm going to start experimenting with some j-bars and other things to lock my heels in a bit tighter. DC sent me some of their Bravo liners with the air pump for locking in ankles so I'm gonna try those out the next time I'm on the mountain (had a minor warranty issue and they are sending me better liners than the Judge comes with).

What boots are you riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
Agreed. Luckily, I have found a really good pair of boots, even then my heel lift hasn't been elminated completely. I still get it even with Superfeet insoles on tight fitting boa focus boots. It is minimal, but when i get on the lift i can still feel it.

Feet are unique, there is no boots that 100% fit your feet.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVM View Post
Some people won't be able to find boots that fit perfectly out of the box.

I've never had boots that fit both feet perfectly out of the box. I've got narrow and seemingly low volume size 11's. Heels touch, toes just touch, but there's always room around the sides and over the instep. More on my right than my left. After new boots pack out a bit, I always have to do some minor mods to my right boot. Heat molding makes the packing out process take longer, but I always have to put a j-bar or a slightly thicker insole in my right at some point in time.

Super feet are very good insoles, but I haven't had the need for them in my latest boots yet. I got a little heel lift happening at the end of last season, put in a $2 j-bar...problem solved for a while.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote