Too much toe/heel overhang - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alastair

Default Too much toe/heel overhang

Hi

I'm pretty new to snowboarding and went to buy my first board yesterday.

Having now set it up at home I'm concerned that the board is not wide enough as I have a good inch and a bit overhang on my heels and toes. Though there is about a 60 degree angle from the board edge to the edge of the boot.

Should I take the board back and get a wider one or is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dont get a new board, get new bindings. You need a pair of bindings that are the right size for your boots and if that doesn't solve it you need to get bindings with a toe lift.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well since you have no pictures to give some decent feedback on, try strapping in the board, get a chair, put your hands on it and balanace on the edge of the board and see how far you can angle the board (90 degrees from base being the most extreme) before the toe touches the ground and make note of the angle your board is at from a visual perspective. Do it again for your heels. If it's pretty steep of an angle, chances ar you're never gonna touch the ground with it unless you plan on alpine carving and/or doing some very aggressive angled carves. With the bindings on, the toes and heels are elevated quite a bit above the ground so I don't think an inch is much to worry about in general.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alastair

Here are some pictures. Thanks for your replies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00016.jpg (65.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00017.jpg (70.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00018.jpg (49.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Doesn't look bad to me at all, in fact looks close to what I had set up for either my brother's board when tuning it up for him. Do the balance thing on the chair and see how aggressive your angle can get before it touches for assurance, but I'm not convinced that's going to be a big issue IMO. Not saying it's perfectly normal, just noting that I don't think you will drag with it.

Screw being normal
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Relyt23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaze View Post
Doesn't look bad to me at all, in fact looks close to what I had set up for either my brother's board when tuning it up for him. Do the balance thing on the chair and see how aggressive your angle can get before it touches for assurance, but I'm not convinced that's going to be a big issue IMO. Not saying it's perfectly normal, just noting that I don't think you will drag with it.
Will you explain this balance thing?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relyt23 View Post
Will you explain this balance thing?
You balance on the chair by holding your hands on it, bending over, to hold yourself on the board edge from falling over. Then tilt the board on the ground at an angle with your feet until it's nearly 90 degrees from flat base (which would be equal to laying on your ass on the ground when strapped in and the board perched up). Think of it like standing on your tip toes or heels and bending over using the chair for balance. The idea is to just angle it until your toes and heels touch to see how far it can go from a visual perspective before touching the ground.

Screw being normal
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Here are some pictures. Thanks for your replies
For me that's too much over hang. But it's def rideable. If the boot isn't centered, meaning there isnt equal heel overhang, then you have a problem.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
For me that's too much over hang. But it's def rideable. If the boot isn't centered, meaning there isnt equal heel overhang, then you have a problem.
i agree with extremo...

center your bindings- you should be ok in my opinion, especially if your not doing some crazy alpine riding

i have about 5/8ths of what you have and havent had a problem, butters, carves, whatever.

only dragged my toe once in 2 feet of powder on a crazy carve, at that point though, my whole edge was dragging in snow
Rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Alastair

Thanks

The bindings are bang on being central, the overhang is exactly equal on the toe and heel.