Waxing for a Newbie - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Starrin

Default Waxing for a Newbie

So waxing is a bit of an enigma to me.

I have watched a number of YouTube videos.

I am on the East Coast - and I ride a Burton (Vapor) - the guys at my local shop gave me the Swix F4 paste - is this stuff any good. It seems like it is too good to be true - you just rub it on and polish (no iron or scraping)....

So why wouldn't everyone do this? It is a cost factor?

Wondering if I have the right stuff at all...

Appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rub on wax is good if your need a quick fix but it rubs right off in just one run down the hill. What you really need is to have the board hot waxed in order for the wax to soak up into the base. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, bring it to a good shop every other run (considering you're on the ice coast). However, if you're up for the challenge, its something that is pretty simple to do. Here's a link with videos which will help you get started:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tip...ce-videos.html
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Starrin

this is what i figured ... also, I noticed on the Burton site they stated the following regarding my board:

"By blending a combination of our most slippery formula with insanely strong materials, we are able to produce a super fast, low-maintenance base that’ll leave all your tuning guru friends eating dust in the flats. They waxed, you relaxed—and somehow you still beat them to the bottom."

It is a Sintered base - but should I be waxing less often based on the the marketing?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trace63

I have a sintered base and I wax my board every 3rd time out, or just by discretion. Call me paranoid, but it works. However, I just tried out some OneBallJay 4WD "Cold", rode the board twice with it already and WOW. I honestly can say this is the best wax Ive tried so far. Twice out in the ice and I can barely see any scratches on the base.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrin View Post
It is a Sintered base - but should I be waxing less often based on the the marketing?

Meh.

A sintered base has natural "grain" and absorbs a lot more wax than an extruded base cuz of all the pores. But if you let it dry out, it's a lot more prone to oxidation cuz there's more surface area and then...well then you've got more serious issues.

I've got a sintered base and I'm on the ice coast too. I wax every 2 or 3 times out depending on conditions. One thing I found useful was waxing with that black graphite wax once in a while. It blackens your base kinda like wood stain, but it really shows you how fast wax wears off. Wax up, your base looks like crap, but rides well. End of the day, your base looks a whole lot cleaner. Second day, it's almost gone, 3rd day it's spotless again. Of course, that's the ice coast for you...in the west that pillowy powder is nowhere near as abrasive.

Put it this way...you spent good $$ on that board, wax regularly. Otherwise, it's like buying a new car and never changing the oil.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

its easy as hell... its scary the first time but easier then you would believe.

No better wax then Hertel Super hot sauce (BUY IT IN BULK!!!)

just drip it on, warm up the base a bit with the iron as you spread and melt the wax, let it cool over night, and scrape it a million and one times till theres no more wax (test with your fingernail), then hit it with a scotch bright pad or lightly with steel wool (i find steel wool gives me a finer finish and reduces suction, but can scratch your base more easily if your not careful. Nose to tail is the only instruction youll need.

just do it... seriously... this has been asked a million and one times.

im on the ice coast and wax every time out... i like my stuff running tip top and waxing isnt that big of a job... kinda fun.
Rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
sapphire_rodent

Ok. So if i'm on the west coast, but riding on man made snow, with 28 degree (low) to 40 degree (high) will all purpose wax cut it for me?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea all pupose should work fne for those temps...it is extremely easy to do btw..instructions were already explained and there are plenty of great youtube videos..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
sapphire_rodent

Yeah watched the videos. They're great. Appreciate it greatly. Good info, good help. Looking foward to your edge tuning videos sometime!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Can you iron clothes without burning them?

Then you can most likely wax your board.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote