Am I making a mistake? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
KCrimson

Default Am I making a mistake?

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I love what everyone does for the board, and thanks to anyone who provides their opinion on this newb question.

I am about to order a Burton Deuce 163 and Burton P1 bindings online (I will be buying boots in-person), for the following reasons, with some reservations:

- I have found both new for a total of $470 at an online site. This seems like a decent price, but will the prices dip further before selling out for the season? I am mostly buying gear for next year, though I will obviously use these for the rest of this season. I am just content with this price unless I can expect the prices to dip further. But I DON'T want to be stuck buying new, more expensive gear next season. Is it too early to be buying for price drops?

- The board itself seems to be a good 'tweener' board that will help me learn all-mountain, be easier on me as a beginner, but also work for me as I advance. I am still in the general learning phase, but I have park interest for the future. Hopefully it will last me a bit before I decide to get a more specialized board. Am I jumping the gun without enough experience by picking out a board? I am 5'10 200lbs, but my natural weight is more like 190-195 as I get into better shape after a slothful winter. 163 may be a little short, but I have been learning on a 153 (rental) without any trouble, so I figure it will be BETTER if not perfect, and I DO plan to get to about 190 quite soon.

- The reviews for the P1s are pretty great across the board, and I plan on getting great boots/bindings that will last me as I progress. Again, I also plan on doing some park riding. Are these bindings pointless for a beginner. Will they wear out before I get good enough to see the benefits? Are they too stuff for beginner park use?

Again, I am new, but learning quite quickly I think. This purchase is truly more for next season than this one, so if I should continue renting until the prices drop further, or if I need to do something else to make a better buying decision, I can wait to buy. But if the choices are right and the time is right, I'd like to order these.

Any and all opinions are welcome and most appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited by KCrimson; 02-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

No dude I never even rented i just bought a shit board and learned on it, I think I got it for like 50 bucks on ebay. it was okay pretty stiff but whatever, anyways I think, in my opinion that a 163 would be ok but could probably go lower. im 5'8" and 170, i ride a 155 so im thinkin it would be ok for you. as far as the deal goes I probably would not get it. I mean do you really want the deuce, im pretty sure you could find maybe a different company same size and cheaper price. and the bindings, well im not a big fan of burton, but I guess they will be ok.
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
KCrimson

Thanks a ton for the reply!

No, my heart isn't set on the Deuce, it just seemed to me like the best fit for a beginner who will probably be intermediate next season. Fits in my price range now too. I'm very open to suggestions for a beginner to intermediate board for mostly freeride with a little park thrown in.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

well then here you go Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trace63

As always, I'll keep pimping Rome. :P I also started LATE last season, rented once, and by the next time up I had my own gear. I started with Rome and I dont see myself ever changing. I love my board and bindings.

Wait until mid-late February. Sierrasnowboards goes 50% across the board....for everything.