Newbie in need of advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chad G

Question Newbie in need of advice

Well I'd like to first say I love the forums cause they have given me alot of good info in the past few days. Anyways im new as u have probly determined from the title of this thread Ive been on the slopes around my area a few times and em inlove with the sport. Just i need your guys help in finding the good ideal setup.

Im 5"11, 140 pounds, 11 shoe size

Ive only been on the rentals at the slopes, mostly just burtons which were stiff but i didnt really mind it as i was only getting use to the hills. anyways i just really want to know what you guys think would be a good size board for me, what would be a shoe size and if there is any binding name brands i should stay away from.

Um if it helps at the moment i only really freestyle but id like to be able to hit jumps etc in the future. Oh and i would like a board that could also go through the powder half decent.

this all seems like alot but i hope u vets and more exp'ed riders could possibly help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
true_richard

i'd say a board in the 149-155 range would suit your weight well.

boots - definitely try them on at your local shop first to find the right fit for your foot/ankle type etc. even if you intend to buy online, they're an item you don't want to buy blindly.

bindings - depends which boot. a boot that fits you snugly, and fits in the binding snuggly/easily = less give/play = more responsive movement input to board action. personally i am a fan of flow bindings for the even pressure they put over a boot as well as the convenience of getting your boot in and ready to ride in a split second w/o wasted time sitting on your butt strapping in.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm a newbie as well and tired of smashing myself up every time I go boarding. I've got a Bataleon Evil Twin on the way as the reviews and some people I've talked to said Bataleons help reduce edge catches. I also picked up some Ride Contraband bindings.

I'll let you know how the Bataleons and Contrabands work out.

Cheers
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd recommend a 153 or 155.

As for the boots, the size differs from brand to brand, so you should really take your time a find the perfect size for yourself. I would suggest DC or Burton.

Don't worry about the bindings. The name brands like Burton or Ride are probably the best choice.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

id ride a 155 if your dedicated to park, 157 or above for allmountain, 156 for free ride with some park.

im 5' 8" 130 pounds and i ride a 154 with lots of flex... easy as hell to free ride, little difficulty with park riding and butters.

go to a store and try on boots then order online.. thats the esiest way.
Rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chad G

Cool

Thanks all, im going to start looking at a 155-156 with some good flex i think. Hopefully i find the right one to get me seriously started agian thanks XD