SnowKiting vs Snowboarding equipment - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
moona

Default SnowKiting vs Snowboarding equipment

Does anybody know if I need the same equipment for kiting and snowboarding ? I asked guys from KiteNuts.com. Kitesurfing, Kiteboarding, Snowkiting social network - Home but and they told me it's the same, but I'm not sure ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I really don't know but I would geuss that it would be the same. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a regular board. Thats pretty crazy though, I've heard of kiteboarding but never heard about this before.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
robzr

I'm curious about this too... I have a 3.6 meter beamer 2 power kite, I wonder if that'd have enough pull to have some fun?

Rob
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

When my friends and I went to Whiteface last year it was extremely windy and icy so the whole mountain was closed except for one tiny run and lift. We left and went back to my friend's camp which is on a lake. Rummaging around for something to do with our boards we came across a tarp and some rope. We made a nice little makeshift kite and ventured out onto the frozen lake with our boards. With the 40+ mph winds it was quite easy to get going and quickly became an amazing time. I was very surprised at how fast you could get going and with the amount of fun we had I have been contemplating getting a kite so I can do this on a more regular basis.

So while we did not have "official" equipment it was a blast. We used our regular boards and it worked just fine. Hell even one guy was on his skis! It made what we thought was a busted day into a blast

We also piled up enough snow to go off the roof , down a ramp off of the deck and hit a jump that we made all with snow. Amazing what 6 guys can do with a lot of free time, shovels, and booze
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Of course you could use the same equipment although there are special boards designed for snowkiting (rage, lekr, mushow, nobile). As well as you can use special jacket under which a harness could be attached.
junipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default snowboard for snowkiting

you can absolutely use your standard issue snowboard for snowkiting. Truth be told, it is what most snowkiters are using. Yes there are a few key things that will give you a much better ride and I covered them in a video that I hope helps: United Boardsports Tips and Advice

I hope that helps,
BK