what can i do to increase my skill level? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default what can i do to increase my skill level?

i just started riding the end of last season. since this season started, i've been trying to go as much as possible to get better. do you guys have any advice on what i should do, or work on to get my skill up? if i had to say i wanted anything in particular i'd have to say more control.
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemp View Post
i just started riding the end of last season. since this season started, i've been trying to go as much as possible to get better. do you guys have any advice on what i should do, or work on to get my skill up? if i had to say i wanted anything in particular i'd have to say more control.
Practice, practice, practice. I think the best thing to learn board control, at least IMHO, is to start riding moguls. It forces you to keep loose and to get really fast at changing directions...And makes it much more challenging to keep your balance and keep your board in control.

It's so easy to get comfortable and take it easy on the slopes - but if you ain't falling, you ain't progressing. Also, if you're stuck and can't progress anymore, take a lesson.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemp View Post
if i had to say i wanted anything in particular i'd have to say more control.
When I first started riding and got good enough to be able to carve down any trail my friend told me to start doing ollies and nollies on flat ground and slowly progress to more speed and doing with while going downhill. It definitely helped a lot. Forces you to control the board in to the jump for the set-up, in the air, and landing and riding away. Practice those, I think it will help. Did with me, plus who doesn't want to jump around on a board?
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Practice and continue to push yourself as others have stated.

Its been really hard out here on the west coast, just no snow, and the little bit we do get blows off into the valleys on the mountain or in the trees you cant get too.

I dont know how you east coast ice guys do it, maybe its just your slopes arent as steep? I dont know but looking at some of the blues here on Hood and realizing its all hardpack ice i cant help but grind my way down slowly on an edge..one edge catch on that and your seasons over and the little red men with their sled come drag your ass down the mountain.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Practice is the only thing that will take you to the next level. One of the things I think that will help you with control is to start to tighten your carves. Assuming you have large "S" carves now, start to make these carves smaller. This will increase your speed down a hill which will train you to not be scared of going faster, but it'll also force you to be able to control your heel-toe linking a lot better.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ride ALOT!! The more time you spend on a board the more comfortable you will become. U don't even have to be on a snowboard. Try skateboarding, ice skating, balance boards, ripsticks, and snowskating. Anything that will improve your balance will help u gain alot more board control.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it takes no more then 1 word:ride.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technine Icon View Post
ripsticks
I love riding my sons ripstik. And it's a hell of a workout too.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Is this a serious question?

I'd have to say since nobody's invented the brain-altering-insta-skill-transfer-a-la-The-Matrix device yet, my wild guess would be to practice boarding. Once someone invents it, you can sit on your ass and just expect to get better at boarding (and kung-fu).

I'm not sure, but I think not riding won't increase your skill level... can I get an opnion on that?

Bottom line - if you're 100% comfortable on your board and not pushing it, you're not learning.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
Is this a serious question?

I'd have to say since nobody's invented the brain-altering-insta-skill-transfer-a-la-The-Matrix device yet, my wild guess would be to practice boarding. Once someone invents it, you can sit on your ass and just expect to get better at boarding (and kung-fu).

I'm not sure, but I think not riding won't increase your skill level... can I get an opnion on that?

Bottom line - if you're 100% comfortable on your board and not pushing it, you're not learning.

actually yea, it is a serious question. of course it doesnt take a brain surgeon to realize that practice will help, duh, but what i was looking for was specific things i could practice to help my control get better. all i know of now is what they taught me in the lesson, and i dont have any riding buddies with more experience than me. so thanks to the other guys with constructive input, i will try it in a couple days
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote