trying to setup my wife and kids - size help with all - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default trying to setup my wife and kids - size help with all

Some basics - All three are SUPER beginer (one trip for each of them)

My son is five so I am basicaly just going to find something of size on craigs list. Found a decent 100cm with boots and bindings for $100 - DONE

Now for the hard part -

Wife - She is small in height and weight. 5'4" and 120lbs. Using the old "up-to-the-chin" method... she would need a 139ish - However I cannot find such a size without going into youth boards which tend to be of lesser quality. Not to mention she wont ride a board that isn't "cute"... (fuckin women) I need to find her a good begginer board in the 138 to 140 cm range. As for bindings, I guess I don't care, except flows seems like a good fit for ease of use.

Daughter - She is 13, and very small - something like 5'1" and 80lbs. However she is very athletic and picks everything up easy so I was thinking of getting her a bit larger board to grow into (kind of) Salomon Lotus 138 seemed right... is that too large? Again, I was thinking flow's for the same reason.

Can anyone help with experience and/or opinion
TyBardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBardy View Post
....Wife - She is small in height and weight. 5'4" and 120lbs. Using the old "up-to-the-chin" method... she would need a 139ish - However I cannot find such a size without going into youth boards which tend to be of lesser quality....

That is ABSOLUTELY the wrong method for determining board size!!!!! Forget that method, it's garbage!

Go to the board manufacturer's web site and check the weight/size range scale for the model(s) you/your wife are interested in! Same for your daughter! Although for her you may get away with sizing up a bit if she is still growing significantly year to year!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
That is ABSOLUTELY the wrong method for determining board size!!!!! Forget that method, it's garbage!

Go to the board manufacturer's web site and check the weight/size range scale for the model(s) you/your wife are interested in! Same for your daughter! Although for her you may get away with sizing up a bit if she is still growing significantly year to year!!
I understand the method is not the end all... but I have to have some type of reference point. Because of her weight/size and skill level I think a 138 would be the right size for her, but thats my opinion
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand the method is not the end all... but I have to have some type of reference point. Because of her weight/size and skill level I think a 138 would be the right size for her, but thats my opinion
A 138 is too small. Many years ago, when I was 120lb's, I was riding a 146 board for park. As Chomps mentioned, the height thing is the absolute most terrible way to measure how big a board should be on someone. Also, to my knowledge, almost all self respecting manufacturers will use weight as the guide, not height.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
A 138 is too small. Many years ago, when I was 120lb's, I was riding a 146 board for park. As Chomps mentioned, the height thing is the absolute most terrible way to measure how big a board should be on someone. Also, to my knowledge, almost all self respecting manufacturers will use weight as the guide, not height.
Yup!! The Nose/Chin thing is done by lazy or busy, overworked rental shop employees to get you on a board and out the door as quickly as possible. It is also perpetuated by un-informed sales people! Look at any company's web site. They all rate their boards sizes by weight not height!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have always leaned towords a slightly shorter board when setting up my begginer friends... This was purely based on my own logic of, begginers wont be pushing the limits of a board and a shorter board will be easier to throw around.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
I have always leaned towords a slightly shorter board when setting up my begginer friends... This was purely based on my own logic of, begginers wont be pushing the limits of a board and a shorter board will be easier to throw around.
That's fine, but as boarderholic mentioned, (...she's a female, btw. So her advice is directly relevant to your wife's/daughter's situation!)

Based on the proper weight/size range. The 138 will likely be way too short. Find the proper size for her (...and you daughter) based on weight and then size up or down from there. I ride 2 short-ish boards that I'm well over the weight range for, but I learned on a much longer board!

If you start from the inappropriate size, based on wrong methods, the size adjustments you make for beginners, or what you hope she will grow into, start from the wrong size. So any potential problems are compounded by that, and solving any learning, riding, technique issues they might have? Will be that much more complicated as well!

We're not talking down to you, busting your chops or trying to steer you wrong!

Check out Wiredsports "Fit Guides" web page. You will see what we're talking about!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

The biggest issue I've noticed with people who use too short boards is that because the board is too short, their stance generally tends to be too narrow, which makes things like learning how to turn much harder than it needs to be. What I would do if I were you, and this is also situational dependent, but buy them a board in the upper limit of the weight range.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
The biggest issue I've noticed with people who use too short boards is that because the board is too short, their stance generally tends to be too narrow, which makes things like learning how to turn much harder than it needs to be. What I would do if I were you, and this is also situational dependent, but buy them a board in the upper limit of the weight range.
Ok, so if I am following you here... If the weight range is 85lbs to 125lbs - that would be a good starting point for ym wife?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, so if I am following you here... If the weight range is 85lbs to 125lbs - that would be a good starting point for ym wife?
What size board?