Considering a board change - right move? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering a board change - right move?

I'm kind of cringing making another one of these posts, but here goes. I'm just transitioning from being a beginner to intermediate rider. I'm mainly hitting blues, which I'm able to take at a pretty good clip, working on getting faster and keeping my turns tighter. I feel like I'm really getting the feel of proper weight transfer, and getting a good rhythm getting edge to edge. I'm currently riding an 08 Ride DH DFC 155, which I got as a beginner board based on advice that the softer flex of a freestyle board would be good to learn on. For the first time this weekend I got to the point (speed) where I noticed some instability (very minor), and also felt like the board got tossed around by the snow when it got heavy in the afternoon. I don't ride any park, nor do I have any intentions of ever doing rails/butters/jibs etc. I do want to start doing jumps though, in addition to progressing with my speed and control. My dilema is, am I really at a level where I'll notice a performance difference with a different board? I'm also concerned with getting a board that's over my head, or that will take a big adjustment in what I'm doing (rocker/tbt), since I'm having so much fun right now - I don't want to throw a wrench in the machine. If I get a new board I'd mainly be looking for something that's maneuverable, good edge to edge, responsive, stable, yet still forgiving to an intermediate rider (read not too catchy, because I'm riding fast enough that catching an edge has consequences). So, here's my stats, and what boards I'm considering. Would appreciate any insights or advice, including if you think I should stick with my DH until I progress some more.

Me:
5'11"
148 lbs
Boot size 9.5

Board would be paired with 07/08 390s and Salomon Maori boots

NS SL-R
Bataleon Riot
Ride Concept TMS
K2 Darkstar
Arbor Element
Capita Stairmaster Extreme

All of these would be in the 155ish range

Last edited by buggravy; 02-02-2009 at 07:19 PM.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ok, let me try this another way. At what point do you really start to notice performance differences from one board to another? I'm not fining a noticeable deficiency with my board, but since it's my first board, I don't really have any basis for comparison. I'm not aware of any demo days coming up at any local slopes.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
tands05

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
I'm kind of cringing making another one of these posts, but here goes. I'm just transitioning from being a beginner to intermediate rider. I'm mainly hitting blues, which I'm able to take at a pretty good clip, working on getting faster and keeping my turns tighter. I feel like I'm really getting the feel of proper weight transfer, and getting a good rhythm getting edge to edge. I'm currently riding an 08 Ride DH DFC 155, which I got as a beginner board based on advice that the softer flex of a freestyle board would be good to learn on. For the first time this weekend I got to the point (speed) where I noticed some instability (very minor), and also felt like the board got tossed around by the snow when it got heavy in the afternoon. I don't ride any park, nor do I have any intentions of ever doing rails/butters/jibs etc. I do want to start doing jumps though, in addition to progressing with my speed and control. My dilema is, am I really at a level where I'll notice a performance difference with a different board? I'm also concerned with getting a board that's over my head, or that will take a big adjustment in what I'm doing (rocker/tbt), since I'm having so much fun right now - I don't want to throw a wrench in the machine. If I get a new board I'd mainly be looking for something that's maneuverable, good edge to edge, responsive, stable, yet still forgiving to an intermediate rider (read not too catchy, because I'm riding fast enough that catching an edge has consequences). So, here's my stats, and what boards I'm considering. Would appreciate any insights or advice, including if you think I should stick with my DH until I progress some more.

Me:
5'11"
148 lbs
Boot size 9.5

Board would be paired with 07/08 390s and Salomon Maori boots

NS SL-R
Bataleon Riot
Ride Concept TMS
K2 Darkstar
Arbor Element
Capita Stairmaster Extreme

All of these would be in the 155ish range
Just my opinion but I dont think you could go wrong with any of these boards...Of course I am a NS fan so I would go with the SL-R...I have not heard anyone say anything bad about them yet. Better yet...Find some Demo days that carry some of these boards you are wanting and try them out. Or see if any slope-side shops will let you demo them...Then you can really see if it is worth it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
kMc

sl-r for sure. but im also a never summer fan.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a SL-R and love it as well, but that said if all your ever going to do is bomb runs there are better boards for that. If you see yourself doing little jumps off the sides, or ever doing any type of freestyle(not necessarily grinding rails or boxes in the park) then the SL-R wins.
You could realistically go with a 153 or 155 im 135 without gear and ride a 151...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
kMc

Im at the exact same level as you, just moved into doing jumps and boxes in the park and buttering and such. I have the infinity-r, the girls version of the sl-r and i think its been great for me for everything that ive used it for, and everything youve listed. i was also worried about it being over my head, but its not, i wanted a board i could grow into a progress with, and i think ive definately found it. and you could definately ride a 151, i weigh a bit more than you and am 5'9 on a 151, the reverse camber lets you size down a bit.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll notice a difference in any board you ride, because they all react differently to different conditions. I've ridden many different types in my day with the standard all-mountain type being what I generally lean towards. Even within that wide genre there are noticable differences as each company makes their board differently. I am currently riding a Rome Flag which is fast, stiff and can charge the biggest, steepest line you throw at it. That said, when I feel like screwing around and doing some jumps or boxes it's too stiff to really throw around like I want to. Can it do it yes, is it ideal no. I'm going a different direction and looking to pick up a slightly softer board for the days that I plan on just having fun and I'm probably going to get a NeverSummer Revolver-R (I need a wide board). The DH is a bit soft and I understand why they sold it to you, though personally I wouldn't have done that if you told me you had no intention of ever going into the park and were generally only going to ride the groomers. I would have put you on the Decade from Ride which is more all mountain oriented.

Sorry to respond with an essay to your essay :-)
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check out this review on the bataleon riot http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...iot-159-a.html . Might help you in your decision a little bit.
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have you already de-tuned the tip and tail? Are the edges still sharp and free of burrs? Are you absolutely satisfied with your binding adjustments (highback rotation, strap placement, forward lean, etc) and stance? If I were you I'd stick with the board and spend the money on lift tickets or a lesson. Boards will ride differently, but not enough to tremendously improve your game. You already said you're having a ton of fun. Ask your friends to swap boards for a few runs also so you have a better sense of what exactly you want.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have you already de-tuned the tip and tail? Are the edges still sharp and free of burrs? Are you absolutely satisfied with your binding adjustments (highback rotation, strap placement, forward lean, etc) and stance? If I were you I'd stick with the board and spend the money on lift tickets or a lesson. Boards will ride differently, but not enough to tremendously improve your game. You already said you're having a ton of fun. Ask your friends to swap boards for a few runs also so you have a better sense of what exactly you want.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote