suggestions on a new all mtn/all mtn freestyle board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default suggestions on a new all mtn/all mtn freestyle board

Hi,

My quiver consists of the following:
- 2010 Never Summer SL 151 cm (looking to replace)
- 2009 Burton Custom X 156 cm (recently bought, have not ridden)
- 2010 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 (recently sold)

I demoed a 2013 Burton Custom camber 151 cm today at Stowe and was really surprised at how much stiffer it was than my SL, especially torsionally. Way too stiff as a daily ride for my preference.

Looking for something similar to the SL, but not softer (ie, no proto ct). A little more aggressive is okay. I've read great reviews on the arbor coda, but not sure if it would be good for east coast riding. I also did not like the rocker profile of my rome artifact rocker...too loose - which as i understand is somewhat similar to arbor's rocker profile.

Can anyone recommend a few suggestions?

My riding consists of popping 180s off rollers, trees, moguls, mixed in with some high speed carving. Small kickers and basic 50/50s off rails and boxes in the park. Not much switch riding.

Last edited by Unowned; 02-10-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Unowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why are you replacing the SL? Something you don't like, want to see different, worn out, or just tired of it?

Stiffer than SL is Heritage if you want to stay with NS

Big size range in your quiver...
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Why are you replacing the SL? Something you don't like, want to see different, worn out, or just tired of it?

Stiffer than SL is Heritage if you want to stay with NS

Big size range in your quiver...
Yes big size range, though I felt like I could go with a longer board for freeride, and a shorter one for a park/flatland board. I'd typically ride 150-153 for an all mtn board.
Unowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

You have a board sitting in your quiver that can do everything you've asked for in a board recommendation. Maybe you don't want to take it out every day but you at least owe it to yourself to try out a board you already own. See if you like it on groomers than maybe just pick up a board that's a little more playful for jibs and soft stuff.

If you are really looking for a more playful all-mountain ride than the Custom X you might try something like the T.Rice pro, easily one of the best all mountain boards around. The new Ripsaw from NS has the same camber profile, maybe a bit stiffer, I'll vouch for it being a freaking amazing board. I have a gripe with riding rails with the same board I use for tackling icy groomers but that's just me. If that's your thing maybe try getting something mellow but with full camber, like the Capita Outsiders or the K2 Subculture.

Also, your weight and the bias toward the different types of terrain you ride on would be awesome.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote