Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   How does regular camber feel in powder? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/126593-how-does-regular-camber-feel-powder.html)

Mr_Orange 02-10-2014 04:30 AM

How does regular camber feel in powder?

How does regular camber feel in the powder? I was looking at some powder specific boards and it seems like most of them have some kind of rocker feature on them.

Then i see some of these videos and Eero is going pretty crazy in Japan powder on a regular cambered board:

Eero Ettala And Heikki Sorsa Cooking With Gas Episode 3 | TransWorld SNOWboarding

Cooking With Gas 2013: Episode Three Snowboarding Videos | TransWorld SNOWboarding

speedjason 02-10-2014 08:42 AM

probably sink down.:laugh:

wrathfuldeity 02-10-2014 08:50 AM

depending on the powder, your skillz, and the nose tail shape. I have a cambered Option Northshore...has a shovel nose and a tapered pintail...works great for up to a 12" but the problem is deeper the nose does not want to recover from subbing.

hardasacatshead 02-10-2014 09:28 AM

Ride fast enough and anything will float. Unless you're riding a Nordic ski... that's gonna sink.

CassMT 02-10-2014 10:00 AM

acckkk, camber in pow is the worst, feels like you are dragging an anvil behind you all day

knoxious 02-10-2014 10:49 AM

I ride a 159 Arbor Abacus in the pow and it's dreamy... ref stance is set back...i put it back a notch further and it feels like I'm surfing!

You can make any board float in the pow,you just gotta go for it!

ItchEtrigR 02-10-2014 11:13 AM

as long as the pitch is steep enough and your moving it will float, its when the slope eases up and you slow down a softened up longer nose comes in handy... Im 82kg and I just rode a 154w cambered Burton Operator board in knee deep in lillehammer two weekends ago... sure I had a bit of thigh burn and I wish I had a different board it but it didnt stop me from having 9 goes at it and thru the trees....

that said If I was to do it again, i'd have brought my 161 flat rocker with 25mm setback with me

lisevolution 02-10-2014 11:45 AM

before the rocker re-revolution we all road cambered boards in powder. You set the stance back a bit and went for it. So yes a cambered board can ride powder. It's a bit more effort and you definitely need to keep your speed up but otherwise it feels almost the same.

poutanen 02-10-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItchEtrigR (Post 1521481)
as long as the pitch is steep enough and your moving it will float, its when the slope eases up and you slow down a softened up longer nose comes in handy...

This is it exactly, on a steep pitch you won't notice much difference, in the flats you're back leg is burning and you just don't have the control.

All of my "powder" boards have some form of camber, but the big wide nose, extra length, generous taper, and a healthy setback make the difference. Combine that with a little camber and an early rise/rocker nose, and you've got a fun powder/off-piste board! :yahoo:

KIRKRIDER 02-10-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisevolution (Post 1521585)
before the rocker re-revolution we all road cambered boards in powder. You set the stance back a bit and went for it. So yes a cambered board can ride powder. It's a bit more effort and you definitely need to keep your speed up but otherwise it feels almost the same.

That :eusa_clap::eusa_clap: