Looking for an all-mtn board for my gf - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for an all-mtn board for my gf

Hi all, my gf started and still using the K2 moment and she has been boarding for a few years. She ride mostly in the east coast but we head out to west every season. She has been to Whistler and Big White in the west. She has no interest into freestyle at current stage so her style is mostly all-mtn freeride so something that is stable, fast and carve well. She is 5'3" tall and weight 100lbs. Her current board is 138cm. Not much selection for her in the 138cm - 142cm range. She looked up a few board such as K2 Bright Lite, Rome Romp and Salomon Wonder. I think Bright Lite and Romp is just a little step up so I don't think it worth the upgrade. Haven't read much about the Wonder yet.

Please anyone would recommend some boards for her style and I'll also continue my research. Thanks in advance.
sirgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I got the wife a Rossignol Diva Magtek, and she seems to like it a lot. 60% camber, 40% Rocker (outside the bindings) profile with magnetraction for extra grip on some ice. On the stiffer side, so definitely not something to makes consistent laps in the park with.

Perfect for all-mountain riding, and carving on groomers.
Flaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

You don't say what her riding profile is. Freeride, park or all mountain. As an east coast freerider I also have the Diva Magtek and have been really happy with it. When I was looking to buy I was also considering a Roxy Envi and a NeverSummer Lotus. I don't have any views on park etc. though.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I will look into Diva and other suggestions given. She is more of a freerider, no park for her either.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I just got my wife a Jones Twin Sister. I sized her down from a 148 to a 146. She says she likes it a lot more than the Ecopop it replaced.

Things she liked:

- Less chatter
- More agile, felt easier to turn
- Better float in powder
- Easier to ollie.

Things she didn't like:

- Very slippery top sheet
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Jones Twin Sister does look like a nice board. The Mothership was also on my list. Both have similar profiles to the Diva I ended up getting (although the Mothership's rocker is biased front vs back) and while I haven't ridden them from specs it looks like the Diva would fall in the middle as regards stiffness. So really it is what she wants. I know when I was looking I wanted to move up in speed and was looking for a stiffer more advanced board. If she wants something more playful the Twin Sister doesn't look like a bad bet and I do like the Jones brand ethos and graphics (the Diva graphics sadly are getting worse and worse as far as I am concerned). I think of the ones I looked at the Envi looked to be the most playful. Gnu also has some great boards for women.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Funny....I got my gf a diva as well! =P

It almost the same board as my One Magtek.
Madbob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great recommendation.

Diva
Roxy Envi
NS Lotus
Jonas Twin Sister
GNU

I have looked at GNU B-Pro C2 BTX which is rocker/camber hybrid opposite of what Diva is which is camber/rocker. She def'ly wants to move up in speed since she is trying to catch up with me. I'm pretty sure she wants something stable and faster so may not want something that is too playful.

One thing I wanted to talk her out of her mind is that she can ride a 14xcm board. She tried boards over 140cm before and was having trouble but back then she was still a beginner. Her current board is 138cm and she is afraid that it will be hard to maneuver when she get a longer board. Diva has a 144 and I think it fits her.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgoo View Post
Thanks for all the great recommendation.

Diva
Roxy Envi
NS Lotus
Jonas Twin Sister
GNU

I have looked at GNU B-Pro C2 BTX which is rocker/camber hybrid opposite of what Diva is which is camber/rocker. She def'ly wants to move up in speed since she is trying to catch up with me. I'm pretty sure she wants something stable and faster so may not want something that is too playful.

One thing I wanted to talk her out of her mind is that she can ride a 14xcm board. She tried boards over 140cm before and was having trouble but back then she was still a beginner. Her current board is 138cm and she is afraid that it will be hard to maneuver when she get a longer board. Diva has a 144 and I think it fits her.
my girlfriend is on the b-pro and it sounds like a great match for yours as well. Not into freestyle or park or anything, just carving and ripping down whatever terrain happens to be available. very good edge hold (would attribute to magnetraction) and it is quite a stiff deck for a women's board. If she wants to keep up that will do the trick, not sure what lengths it is available in but a bit extra length won't hurt if she is experienced and isn't doing anything freestyle oriented.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here is a review done by angrysnowboarder for the diva magtek if you are interested.

2014 Rossignol Diva Magtek Snowboard Used and Reviewed «
Madbob14 is offline   Reply With Quote