Buying a new board. Insight and suggestions needed! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deathquake

Default Buying a new board. Insight and suggestions needed!

Hi,

I'm going into my second year of snowboarding and after the first year of learning on rentals I'm ready to take the next step and purchase my own board, bindings, and boots.

I'm 6'2", 180 lbs, and usually wear a size 12 shoe.

I've learned I'm definately a freestyle rider who likes jumps and quick easy turning.

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions and opinions on what board spec that would best fit my build and style.

I've been looking at the board at the link below. How would that be for me?

Best Prices on House Formula Wide 156cm Snowboard - Mens Snowboard Snowboarding Gear Equipment

I assume the 160 cm would be better but would I notice a difference in turning with that board compared to the 156 cm one? I would really like the smallest possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

You need a wide board (wasit width of like 25.4+ cm). Also that board might be a little short for you. Finally, the-house is very reliable and has great customer serivce, but I dont know how house brand boards are. They could be decent boards at cheap prices because they arent a big brand like Burton, Forum, etc. or they might just be pieces of shit.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

12 SHOE or boot?
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deathquake

I'm a size 12 shoe usually. Sometimes an 11.5. I think I scratched the idea of getting the House board. How is Technine in terms of boards?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
mike1two

Not too familiar with the quality of Technine boards. What is your price range?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tech9 is sooooofffttt.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deathquake

What do you think of this board? Remember this is my first board and I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on it. I have no problem spending up to $200 on the board itself. I want more of a Freestyle board too.

Fresh Fortress 160 cm Snowboard MSRP $300 - (eBay item 140159195577 end time Oct-17-07 12:46:47 PDT)

Better than the House one? Any negatives about the Fresh board stand out at you?

I like this Technine board but it really doesn't give me much information about it. Maybe one of you here know about the T9 board.

http://boardersmall.com/xcart/produc...cat=562&page=1

Thanks again

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
JiveTalkinRobot

The definition of freestyle is a bit vague. From your description it seems like you might want a more all mountain oriented board. To go into detail, a freestyle board is soft and is not going to be that responsive. To most boarders freestyle entails mostly park days where you only pick up enough speed for mid sized kickers and hit objects (jibs, boxes, etc).

An all mountain board is going to give you most of what you need, fairly good response and it will let you hit the jumps as well as objects if you desire.

In all honesty you just started and dont know what you want to do yet...so a versatile board will enable you to explore.

Also, at a size 12 boot you are pushing into wide board territory.

I will go ahead and recommend some boards:

Rome Machine
Capita Mid Life Artist
K2 Podium Wide

For your question about the Fresh board... it has an extruded base...which is durable but slow... and the core is nothing tech. I can't speak for its flex.

Remember also, the bindings and boots are just as important as the board. I would rather ride on a crap board with good bindings and boots, vice versa.

Enjoy the sport
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jhonyquest97

If you need new boots i suggest grabbin a boot that shirnks your foot print. It's worth it, like the ride duece, or burton boxer but there are a ton more out there. Your weight is more important than anything. At 180 lbs you don't need anything near a 160. I weight 165 and ride a 147 kink for jibbing. You should go in the 154-156 range, no bigger. I would also suggest these boards as they are great all around boards and uber fun in and out of the park.

-Ride Dh
-Atomic HAtchet
-K2 Darkstar
-Forum Youngblood

More jib oriented you could get ride kink, k2 www as there a lot softer.

As far as bindings you have plastic or aluminum for the most part. Aluminum will be more rigid for better response, plastic flexs for a more forgiving feel. I would def recomend the rome 390s also as said previously or the ride betas or deltas. Betas will dampen impacts a little better though.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonyquest97
If you need new boots i suggest grabbin a boot that shirnks your foot print. It's worth it, like the ride duece, or burton boxer but there are a ton more out there. Your weight is more important than anything. At 180 lbs you don't need anything near a 160. I weight 165 and ride a 147 kink for jibbing. You should go in the 154-156 range, no bigger. I would also suggest these boards as they are great all around boards and uber fun in and out of the park.

-Ride Dh
-Atomic HAtchet
-K2 Darkstar
-Forum Youngblood

More jib oriented you could get ride kink, k2 www as there a lot softer.

As far as bindings you have plastic or aluminum for the most part. Aluminum will be more rigid for better response, plastic flexs for a more forgiving feel. I would def recomend the rome 390s also as said previously or the ride betas or deltas. Betas will dampen impacts a little better though.

He doesn't need a jib board at this stage... I ride a 147 Kink and I'm 135, and I feel like the board is taking abuse. How the hell you getting away with that at 160?

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote