2014 Burton Custom Flying-V Owners - some general tuning/config questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 2014 Burton Custom Flying-V Owners - some general tuning/config questions

I am a relatively new rider and I recently purchased a 2014 Custom Flying-V (160 cm) w/ Cartel EST bindings as my first board, and after taking it out for about 7 days total, I have some questions:

1. What are the default/factory edge angles?

2. Are there any special precautions/care that need to be taken when doing edge tuning with a flying-v shape, and the frostbite edges?

3. Conditions have been crappy (until very recently) in CA and UT where I've ridden it so far, and I had some trouble keeping the board stable at high speed on the hard pack. It was kind of "squirrely" and very loose. I also found the tail to be kind of "grabby", which in some cases seemed to cause me to wipe-out. Is there anything I can do tuning-wise to improve stability on the Custom F-V at high speed? Or is this probably a (lack of) skill issue?

4. I am 6' 2" and about 175 lbs naked. Should the binding stance ref points of this board be appropriate for me? Or should I extend them an inch or two?
Teslatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're coming from camber you'll make some subtle changes to your riding style.

I find Flying V needs you to press out with your knees a bit in the turns, this engages the camber more.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

1. 1/1
2. Not really, since you're doing it by hand, right?
3. IMO (since I have a Sherlock flying-v)... it comes with the territory compared to my stiff cambered T-6
4. your preference.... try it out and find out.... is the reference point about your shoulder width-ish?
tanscrazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Do any of you have a recommendation on how to DETUNE this board?

It's a Flying-V rocker of course... if I put it flat on the ground, the center most point is the contact point, with the nose and tail wanting to raise off the ground. In other words, it has an overall rocker shape. Do I keep this center point sharp? Or do I detune it since it's a contact point?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't detune anything on it.

If you find that the tail is grabby? Perhaps you are leaning back on your board?
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I agree. I would NOT detune this board based on what you are saying. You say it is loose, you say it is grabby. I think you need more time riding this board. It may indeed be either loose or grabby based on what you are riding on and how you are riding this board. But detuning is not going to change the overall characteristics of the board. I would not do it.
scottb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys- next time I sharpen the edges I won't detune at all and see how it rides. I agree, I probably need more time on the board.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb18c View Post
I wouldn't detune anything on it.

If you find that the tail is grabby? Perhaps you are leaning back on your board?
I second this. Granted I have last years flying V, I find that I sometimes lean too far back on steeper runs, hence feeling the back wash out.
Bertieman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
burton, custom, flying v