Burton Custom vs. Lib Tech TRS MTX vs. GNU Riders Choice MTX: Deck/Binding Suggestion - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
d-prostylee

Default Burton Custom vs. Lib Tech TRS MTX vs. GNU Riders Choice MTX: Deck/Binding Suggestion

Heyo...

I'm gonna buy a new deck/set-up in the next week or so and am hoping to get a little insight/help in deciding what would be the best option and what people have ridden and would recommend, etc.

I would demo the boards but right now I could get madd deals on each of the decks and wouldn't have time to demo before they sold out, etc.

These are the boards I've narrowed it down to (and if anyone has any comparable recommendations...lay it on me). Also please please please don't try to push the reverse camber/rocker tech on me - I love me some camber...

in no particular order:

1) Burton Custom 156 w/ Cartel ESTs
(I demoed the custom x and it was waaaay to stiff, i hated it...the custom had a little bit of flex from my observations in the store and from what friends have told me and ridden)

2) Lib Tech TRS MTX w/ Ride Betas
154 or 157??

- I've heard the base on this board leaves a little to be wanting in the speed department True?False?

3) Gnu Rider's Choice MTX w/ Ride Betas
154.5 or 157.5??

note: is the MTX tech really all that? or does it grip too much?

I'm looking for an all mountain snowboard with some decent pop.
I'm 5'10" - 145lbs
I can spend @$500 on a deck @ $200 on bindings.

I mainly freeride...natural wall rides, kickers and drops are my jammy jams. Carving (true carving - like making smiley faces on the mtn) also feels like flying...
I do un poco park stuff mainly cause I'm muy weak juice in the park...but I'm looking to spend time progressing and gettin legit in the park sessions as well.

I've heard/read mixed stuff about the MTX (magne-traction) and that it rides a little "bigger" than the actual size so I wasn't sure if the 154 was gonna be to small or the 157s too big. Does it just "feel" bigger or does it actually support like longer board would.

I've never ridden anything smaller than a 155 since I retired my ancient Sims Search board many many years ago b/c I got bigger for one and when I'm really laying into a carve and depressing the camber the board would give out, and I've felt that the smaller board sizes are very unstable at high speeds and generally for the riding that I do. 156s and 157s in traditional boards have seemed to be the best of both worlds for me...long enough to be stable and not slide out, and short enough to still get twisty

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S - I rambled didn't i? Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rome Anthem / Agent and also sierrasnowboard.com has 40% off 2009 boards/bindings right now.

Last edited by paul07ss; 02-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
paul07ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get the TRS MTX.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ive got the trs mtx and it is great for all mountain and carving. the speed im not sure about. i usually beat my friend who rides a custon on flatter urfaces, but i wax my board more often and weigh less.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
d-prostylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul07ss View Post
Rome Anthem / Agent and also sierrasnowboard.com has 40% off 2009 boards/bindings right now.
thanks man...that site has better deals than the one I was just checkin out...

good lookin out!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
d-prostylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
ive got the trs mtx and it is great for all mountain and carving. the speed im not sure about. i usually beat my friend who rides a custon on flatter urfaces, but i wax my board more often and weigh less.
Do you free carve/have you free carved on it? and how does it hold up? any chatter when you're bombin' down black diamonds?? (most of the nj/pa dbl black diamonds run more like west coast blue squares)

What size would you recommend?
154/157? (5'10" 145lbs)

You don't feel the MTX grips too much?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Have you looked at the Burton Hero.. I was looking at a custom and was recommended the Hero over it...
HouseMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
jjin

Never summer sl-r 156 w/ rome targas or 390s [/thread]
Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I ride Custom 56 and Cartels. Not the ICS, though.

For the riding you do, you'll be happy. Pretty responsive with decent pop. The board def is not near the stiffness of the X.

Peter Glenn has Burton on sale. Big savings.

For this setup...

$399 Board
$179 Bindings

You'll be hardpressed to find any deals much better than that unless you walk in the stores.
stevetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
d-prostylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMuzik View Post
Have you looked at the Burton Hero.. I was looking at a custom and was recommended the Hero over it...
The guys at my local shop all sweat the lib-tech, tech. They say the Hero is r/c but not true "rocker" tech like anything from the mervin boards (gnu, lib, etc).

Personally, I could do w/o the r/c tech. I feel like it'd just wash out from under you if you tried to set your stance back especially for those runs in the cherry back country pow. So you've gotta centered on the board [someone correct me if i'm wrong - it just seems like that's how the physics would play out]. Riding in powder has never been an issue. I spent the last few seasons in Tahoe (ah! I miss it!!) and since moving back to the Ice Coast I've actually had to adjust my riding a bit.

I haven't done much diggin onn the Hero cause that tech isn't what I'm looking for

There's madd noise about the reverse camber/rocker/banana tech in the park. If stomping in the park is your jam then you might wanna ask around and keep in mind the guys in my shop all ride Lib-Tech and generally seem to be biased for the Mervin product.