Board Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Help

So I am deciding on purchasing a new board. I am 6'2" and weigh around 215 pounds with size 11(US) feet. I currently have a 158cm Amptek Rossignol board and I want to upgrade.

My question is two things:
Width/length. Would it be better to get a 161-163 or a 158W. I do not like terrain parks, I enjoy doing more carving and some powder when I can. I live in Wisconsin so powder is scarce, but I love doing powder runs. That begs the question for shape also. I would like to have a board that will treat me well when I go to Colorado (it's happening, just a matter of how soon) I've read up on Camber/Rocker/Mix shapes, but I am not entirely sure which would be the best. I feel that camber would make the most sense since I love carving, but then again I am just learning about snowboards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. One more question: What goes into choosing bindings? what things should I look out for?

I have started looking at 159W Ride
161 Ride

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Pat Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

which ride are you looking at? You will likely need the 164 MINIMUM but probably the 167. You may also want to look into some burton boots as they are one of the best in the idustry for footprint reduction. That being said, theere are many good boot companies that make boots with very good footprint reduction that will reduce the toe drag and not force you into a wide board.

If you are uncomfortable in a 164/167... the 159W would probably be a bit more ideal for your makeup...
TyBardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBardy View Post
which ride are you looking at? You will likely need the 164 MINIMUM but probably the 167.
WTF? Why would he need such a big board? That's ridiculous. If you want an all mountain board that will still perform in powder just get a hybrid rocker/camber board. There are plenty of options that allow you to do all the things you want without having to buy a mega board. A board similar to what your using now would be a rossignol krypto which is also a mid wide if you are concerned about boot size.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/ros...ol-krypto.html
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBardy View Post
which ride are you looking at? You will likely need the 164 MINIMUM but probably the 167. You may also want to look into some burton boots as they are one of the best in the idustry for footprint reduction. That being said, theere are many good boot companies that make boots with very good footprint reduction that will reduce the toe drag and not force you into a wide board.

If you are uncomfortable in a 164/167... the 159W would probably be a bit more ideal for your makeup...
I already have a pair of Ride Rook size 11's. I'll keep looking into wide boards. Any good sites to find them? Wides are so hard to find.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
WTF? Why would he need such a big board? That's ridiculous. If you want an all mountain board that will still perform in powder just get a hybrid rocker/camber board. There are plenty of options that allow you to do all the things you want without having to buy a mega board. A board similar to what your using now would be a rossignol krypto which is also a mid wide if you are concerned about boot size.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/ros...ol-krypto.html
He is 6'2 215 - not a small man
Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Z. View Post
I already have a pair of Ride Rook size 11's. I'll keep looking into wide boards. Any good sites to find them? Wides are so hard to find.
I have 11.5 boots and do not require a wide board. Unless you plan on carving like a pro, getting way down parallel with the runs, you will most likely never experience toe drag.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Z. View Post
Wide boards will limit you a bit but you can also makeup for the wide by going stiffer in your case.

If you are interested in a Ride, their website is super awesome about getting you into the right size board for your weight. As for your foot size, you don't have a massive foot so I wouldn't worry a whole lot about toe drag. And like I said, you can always get a footprint reduced set of boots to help with this aspect.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

The wide board is not to accomidate the foot size, it is to accomidate the overall size. It also matters which board you are looking into. If you are trying to freeride on a all mountain/free ride board - you will either need the longer board or a wide board. If you are looking for a park board you can shorten everything up
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

You should not go with something smaller than a 160(164 would be great for added charge-ability) because of your weight and because you say so yourself you'll be using it primarily for carving the groomed stuff. You are correct saying that camber is ideal for carving but there are hybrid profiles out there that can get you the degree of carving you want while still treating you well when you come out to the land of far-superior snow so don't cut them out too soon. The Berzerker that you have linked on your post wouldn't be a bad choice. It's not ideal for any specific conditions but it is very much so the jack-of-all trades master-of-none concept(if you can upgrade to the Highlife, supposedly it's a real charger. It warrants more skill though) Howeeeever, the berzerker will do pretty well in the powder like you want it to.

With regards to bindings, freeriding bindings tend to be stiffer to increase response. You'll probably want stiffer bindings eventually but if you're just getting into it, you could benefit from ones with a little more give.
EDIT: the berzerker doesn't come in 162... you'll be more than fine on the 161 if you choose to go smaller.

Last edited by Naturesabre; 02-10-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Naturesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturesabre View Post
snip.
157MW DC

What do you guys think about this one? I want to keep the board under 300. Would the Midwide account for the decrease in size?