1st board/boot/ binding purchase - East Coast rider - lots of info - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st board/boot/ binding purchase - East Coast rider - lots of info

Hello, looking for some advice for my 1st board / boot / bindings purchase. I am 5'9', 220lbs, size 11 boot. Took lessons, loved it, been 4 times in the past 3 weeks. Everytime I went I was set up with a Burton 160 (LTR I think) with the Burton progression size 11 boots. I am from NYC, so plan to ride the local areas, Mt Creek, Poconnos, Hunter, Bellayre, with some runs up to VT. Budget is no issue, but don't want to buy something I am not ready for. Just riding with friends, most of whom are skiers, no plans to hit the park or anything for a while if ever.

So the question is based on my height / weight, the fuzzy math of the calculators has me a bit uncertain. Stick with a 160 board, go up to a larger size, or down to a 157/158?

Next, need some recommendation on something good for the icy mountains of east coast. After looking at the diff manufacturers sites, the eye candy and good reviews of the Atomic Hatchet and the Burton Custom has me wanting to make the buy but are those the right type of boards for ice / packed snow of the EC? All recommendations are welcome. Thanks,
DVphenom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just make sure your edges are sharp for icy mountains. Size 11's I'd suggest a mid-wide/wide board. At 220, 160 length sounds about right, maybe even longer. Skier's generally go faster, look for an all mountain or free-ride board if you want to somewhat keep up. Nix the hatchet from your list. Check out the Never Summer Legacy in 159 or 161. If you're not hitting the park or trying spins anytime soon i'd get the 161.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was in the same situation as you.. im 200lbs though.. I got a 160 Rome Flag aka wide version of the rome anthem. I got the Ride SPI Bindings as well.. I think you should use at least a 162 for your weight though.. with a size 11 you can go either way with a regular/wide.
paul07ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
krazykay5487

I got a Custom 158 im 6'0 180lbs size 10.5 I ride all mountain, im starting to get into the park jump and jibs...I love this board. I ride east coast too, very ICEY! This board hold up great in the park and down the ice. I ride duck, I have no problem with the board. I think the board also comes wide.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Stick with the 160 or even go up to a 162. I wouldn't suggest going down in size. The Burton Custom is a great all mountain board and should do just fine on the East Coast as long as u keep you're edges constantly sharp.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote