Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Tuning Magne-traction (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/126969-tuning-magne-traction.html)

bsmith42 02-11-2014 11:02 AM

Tuning Magne-traction

Hey fellow riders,

First time I've posted in here, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I did do a search).

I got a new Rossi Magtek One and I've been riding the hell out of it. So far I'm loving it, but I've put 10-15 days on it already and I think my edges need a tune (Hasn't seen wax or a sharpener since the factory, my bad). This is my first board with magne-traction edges, so I'm just wondering if there is anything special I need to be aware of before I tune it. Do they tune just like a straight edged board or is there a different technique for the wavy sides? I can't believe how effective it is at grabbing an edge and I don't want to lose any of that by tuning it the wrong way.

(I looked for a Maintenance/Tuning section to put this in but didn't find one, so sorry if there is a better place to ask this)

Fergatron2000 02-11-2014 11:09 AM

Get one of these.

For tuning the sides: How To Tune / De-Tune Magne-Traction Edges – Lib Tech

Base of the edges should be no different than non-MTX

freshy 02-11-2014 11:17 AM

Most files will say Magnetraction compatible on them, and I think lib makes one too. Typically any small quick tune file will do.
The great thing about Magna is you don't need to keep them sharp, they will grip snow even when dull.

bsmith42 02-11-2014 11:22 AM

Awesome, thank you. This is perfect. I'll go snag one of those Mag Tools before I put the board on the bench. Any recommendations on wax for Colorado conditions this time of year? I'm mostly at Copper/WP and I stay away from rails (bad concussion a few years ago). I stick to a lot of natural terrain and occasionally hit the park for jumps/pipe.

boarderaholic 02-11-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith42 (Post 1526169)
Awesome, thank you. This is perfect. I'll go snag one of those Mag Tools before I put the board on the bench. Any recommendations on wax for Colorado conditions this time of year? I'm mostly at Copper/WP and I stay away from rails (bad concussion a few years ago). I stick to a lot of natural terrain and occasionally hit the park for jumps/pipe.

Pick wax based on the conditions. I usually use all temp stuff, but will re-wax with cold temp when it hits the -30*C range.

bsmith42 02-11-2014 11:38 AM

Cool, I'll just grab some all temp. It rarely gets -30C here, more likely I'll need a warm wax for spring conditions. It can hit like 10-15C here in April with the sun out.

SinkHole 02-11-2014 11:44 AM

I have not sharpened my edges in 6 years I think.
Had to do my daughters beater board we got for her for her to learn on (non-Magne) and thought to myself, "Oh, I remember this - this SUCKS."

bsmith42 02-11-2014 12:01 PM

I'm still grabbing an edge fine, but I'm noticing the burrs are killing my speed whenever I press on the edge (I know that's what they are SUPPOSED to do, but its basically bringing me to a stop on anything flat-ish). I was so excited to use the board that I probably used it too early in the season and I rode it over some stuff I shouldn't have. No core shots or anything, but the edges are pretty rough. I can feel the extra friction it's causing when I ride. I figured if I gotta fix that I might as well do a full tune.

bsmith42 02-11-2014 12:45 PM

And..............I just found all of the other threads about this.

Sorry guys, but thanks for the info none the less.

I wish you all endless dumps of powder :bowdown: