Tuning Magne-traction - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tuning Magne-traction

Hey fellow riders,

First time I've posted in here, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I did do a search).

I got a new Rossi Magtek One and I've been riding the hell out of it. So far I'm loving it, but I've put 10-15 days on it already and I think my edges need a tune (Hasn't seen wax or a sharpener since the factory, my bad). This is my first board with magne-traction edges, so I'm just wondering if there is anything special I need to be aware of before I tune it. Do they tune just like a straight edged board or is there a different technique for the wavy sides? I can't believe how effective it is at grabbing an edge and I don't want to lose any of that by tuning it the wrong way.

(I looked for a Maintenance/Tuning section to put this in but didn't find one, so sorry if there is a better place to ask this)
bsmith42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Get one of these.

For tuning the sides: How To Tune / De-Tune Magne-Traction Edges – Lib Tech

Base of the edges should be no different than non-MTX
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Most files will say Magnetraction compatible on them, and I think lib makes one too. Typically any small quick tune file will do.
The great thing about Magna is you don't need to keep them sharp, they will grip snow even when dull.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome, thank you. This is perfect. I'll go snag one of those Mag Tools before I put the board on the bench. Any recommendations on wax for Colorado conditions this time of year? I'm mostly at Copper/WP and I stay away from rails (bad concussion a few years ago). I stick to a lot of natural terrain and occasionally hit the park for jumps/pipe.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith42 View Post
Awesome, thank you. This is perfect. I'll go snag one of those Mag Tools before I put the board on the bench. Any recommendations on wax for Colorado conditions this time of year? I'm mostly at Copper/WP and I stay away from rails (bad concussion a few years ago). I stick to a lot of natural terrain and occasionally hit the park for jumps/pipe.
Pick wax based on the conditions. I usually use all temp stuff, but will re-wax with cold temp when it hits the -30*C range.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cool, I'll just grab some all temp. It rarely gets -30C here, more likely I'll need a warm wax for spring conditions. It can hit like 10-15C here in April with the sun out.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have not sharpened my edges in 6 years I think.
Had to do my daughters beater board we got for her for her to learn on (non-Magne) and thought to myself, "Oh, I remember this - this SUCKS."
SinkHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm still grabbing an edge fine, but I'm noticing the burrs are killing my speed whenever I press on the edge (I know that's what they are SUPPOSED to do, but its basically bringing me to a stop on anything flat-ish). I was so excited to use the board that I probably used it too early in the season and I rode it over some stuff I shouldn't have. No core shots or anything, but the edges are pretty rough. I can feel the extra friction it's causing when I ride. I figured if I gotta fix that I might as well do a full tune.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

And..............I just found all of the other threads about this.

Sorry guys, but thanks for the info none the less.

I wish you all endless dumps of powder