In need of an upgrade. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default In need of an upgrade.

Hi all, Im looking for some suggestions for a new board.
Stats:
Riding: old craigslist 159 Burton Deuce w/ Missions binding. New Vans 10.5 boots
Skill: low-mid intermediate; mostly blues/some blacks. Working on riding switch.
Riding Style: groomers, powder (Utah), trees, some natural jumps, no park.

Im looking for something that rides easy, nimble, stable at high speeds, able to handle deep powder and still hit the occasional jump. I know Im all over the place, basically I want something fun. My Deuce makes me so nervous to go fast because its so unstable.

Thoughts?

Maxxxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton Sherlock? Good in powder, turns well, good for trees, pretty stiff compared to quite a few of the powder oriented boards. Easy to ride, and I would say that the photo you show is exactly the conditions I grab mine when that's expected.

If your skill level is intermediate or less more likely stability at speed is related to skill than equipment.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hear ya, I'm definitely on the lower side of intermediate. I guess comfort with speed will come with time. I'll check out the Sherlock thanks for the suggestion!

Any others?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stoked to hear that you are upgrading. If you have a minute, please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rode Burton boards for a while. Old Canyon and Un Inc board.. Few years ago picked up a used Lib Tech. OMG love it.. Board has nice pop and carves hard into hard pack and ice. I like the magna traction. I would try and hit up a demo day if you can. Guess its like asking a group whats your favorite flavor ice cream. My GF loves her Never Summer board also coming off Burton..
thedru13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Stoked to hear that you are upgrading. If you have a minute, please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Heh, good thing my office has a door. Left: 27.2cm, Right: 27.6cm. This is to determine if I need a wide board?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedru13 View Post
Rode Burton boards for a while. Old Canyon and Un Inc board.. Few years ago picked up a used Lib Tech. OMG love it.. Board has nice pop and carves hard into hard pack and ice. I like the magna traction. I would try and hit up a demo day if you can. Guess its like asking a group whats your favorite flavor ice cream. My GF loves her Never Summer board also coming off Burton..
I missed the last demo day, I'll have to see if others are coming up. I've heard Neversummer thrown around a lot on these forums, they seem a bit out of my price range though, maybe I can find used...
Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxxpowers View Post
Heh, good thing my office has a door. Left: 27.2cm, Right: 27.6cm. This is to determine if I need a wide board?
In a way. Size 10.5 (28.5 cm) would be a very atypical foot size for a height of 5'7 for a full grown adult. It does happen, but in the .01 percent range. Even 27.2/27.6 is a lot larger than average foot for your height. That is very good news, however, as it makes finding a board much easier. Guys that are 200+ and have smaller feet (8-8.5) have to make some compromises but you are looking good for a wide variety of mainstream decks.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The K2 Turbo dream is great for riding powder and doing groomers with side hits and even bigger jumps. Very smooth, stable and confidence inspiring.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
The K2 Turbo dream is great for riding powder and doing groomers with side hits and even bigger jumps. Very smooth, stable and confidence inspiring.
That sounds exactly what I'm looking for.