does this board suit me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
wua05

Default does this board suit me?

Hey, I've been snowboarding for about a year or two, and have been renting every time. It all adds up, so i figured i would invest in a snowboard. Someone on craigslist is selling the following new for 220$, and I am wondering if it will work for me.

Lamar Mission 154
Burton freestyle bindings (size 8-10)

Weight: 160
Boot size: 8.5
Riding style: freeride
Budget: less than 300 for complete setup
Your location of riding: Big bear/mountain high

note- i'd have to buy a pair of boots on top of this too.

according to the seller, this would be 430 new. he's selling them new for 220. is this a good deal for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think in my opinion that the size of the board matches your body characteristics but you could talk to the guy and try to lower it just because it's a lamar. Now im not saying lamar isn't good im just saying that it's not a burton.
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
jjin

I wouldnt personally choose lamar for a freeride board on second thought i wouldnt buy lamar period. get something better. All the internet and local shops(surfside, website- surfsidesports.com) a store based in costa mesa are having their end of season sales. They have alot or all their stuff from 09' discounted 40% right now. you should check them out. im not sure you knwo what freeride is, seeing you are looking to get a 154. you should be riding a 160 and above for a true freeride experience. i live in OC and go to mt.high all the time w.the exception of a few bear trips during the colder parts of winter. you should save a bit more and get new gear, used stuff cant be reliable 100%.

another thing boots are somthing you want to spend a good deal of time and money on. if you ride in discomfort you wont want to ride any longer. you want a decent budget for boots but for all else you can get stingy if you want but, not for boots. try on alot and when you find the right one, even if they are above your budget you should spring for those because you dont want pain in your feet when you are riding.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not gonna lie. U can do better than a Lamar.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
wua05

SO im guessing the general concensus is not to get it. You mentioned that I should be riding a 160+ board. Doesnt my weight fall into the 155 category?

Also, I looked at some models online. How does the burton bullet 157 and forum recon 156 suit me?

thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Absolutely not on the Lamar, you can buy a NEW Lamar Mission and Burton freestyles for that price hes a lying sack of shit look on froogle.com.
That guys an idiot for thinking he can get over 150 for that stuff if hes lucky..
*edit* Ok maybe he bought a brand new 08/09 Lamar Mission board for 230, which gets him closer to his listed value. Either way for 230 you can get a burton blunt or some other board for cheaper thats 10x better.

If you have 300 bucks to spend this is how i would personally spend it
Goto your local shop and find the best fitting boot you can that has no heel lift in it and is comfortable that they have on sierrasnowboarding.com on sale(40% off!) then either buy them online or show the people in the store and see if they will price match sierra + shipping.

Expect to spend around 100-120 bucks for some really nice 2009 boots(after sale of course).
Spend the remainder of your money on a board/bindings combo off craigslist or ebay.

You'd need to do this ASAP though as Sierra will be selling out of stuff quickly.
If in the future you have a larger budget or just want to upgrade you already have good boots.

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-04-2009 at 02:45 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dude you can find 100 othe rboards on CL that are 1,000X better and cheaper. There are new posts everyday. Quit renting and don't ever buy a board that shitty.
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wua05 View Post
SO im guessing the general concensus is not to get it. You mentioned that I should be riding a 160+ board. Doesnt my weight fall into the 155 category?

Also, I looked at some models online. How does the burton bullet 157 and forum recon 156 suit me?

thanks!
ok don't get a 160 thats too long. and don't get the bullet because from my knowledge that is a wide board and it will be too wide for your boot size. the forum recon in my opinion is a solid board i would consider buying that one.
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

You can't buy an good entire setup (It's pretty imposssible) for less than 300 dollars. If I were you I'd probably buy a nice pair of boots and save up until I could get a better setup or use the leftover money to save up for a board and bindings. Lamar is more for beeginners/not very good in my opinion though. Good luck

Last edited by fuzzysnowboard; 02-04-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysnowboard View Post
You can't buy an good entire setup (It's pretty imposssible) for less than 300 dollars. If I were you I'd probably buy a nice pair of boots and save up until I could get a better setup or use the leftover money to save up for a board and bindings. Lamar is more for beeginners/not very good in my opinion though. Good luck
eh its much easier then you think..but 400 is much more realistic...
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote