Opinions and input needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions and input needed

I'd like experienced input on what equipment I'm looking at buying. I rented some crappy equipment from Christy Sports when I went to A-Basin a couple weeks ago. They put me on a Burton Cruzer 151, which I believe was way too small. I know that snowboarding will be much better with better equipment, so I'm gonna buy a setup. I read a post a couple minutes ago where a guy stated he is going to buy his first setup after renting for 9 years. My first thought was there is no way I'd throw that kind of money away on renting. When I rented my equipment, it was $32 a day. I'd rather own it!!

So, I've been researching the hell out of this site and the manufacturers sites the last few weeks and have picked out a setup. I'm a beginner, but a quick learner with a few years of wakeboarding experience. There are similarities between the two sports, IMO. I'm 5'6" 155-165 lbs. size 9 boot. The board has been a little more difficult. My riding will be all mountain. Rome seems to be a pretty good company from what I've been reading. So here's my list of probabilities.

Bindings: Rome Arsenal, Rome Targa
Boots: Thirty Two Lashed
Boards: Rome Solution 156, Bataleon Airobic 155, Rome Anthem 156 (I could use a couple more suggestions on boards and I'm open to other companies)

Thanks for reading.
ThugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Defenitly go with the Rome Targa for bindings. The Bataleon would be the best. As far as other board suggestions, take a look at the Burton Custom.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're going all mountain and plan on hitting some serious powder, I'd say go with arsenals. If you plan on doing any jumps, you might want to consider the targas. The arsenals are stiffer, but the targas are more customizable so they work better for different riding.

EDIT: For an all mountain board, you might consider the Design. I have an Anthem and it sucks in deeper stuff. I only use it on crud since it is mostly a terrain board anyways.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ditch the airobic and get a riot instead

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, I went to the two local shops and discovered they only carry a very large amount of Burton and Ride products and one place had a pair of DC Scouts. I tried a whopping two pair of boots on. That's what I'm limited to living in Texas.

They had NOTHING on my list. Sooooo.....I may just make a blind purchase, which means I won't be able to try any of the stuff on. I would wait to buy when I make another trip to CO, but I want to take advantage of the great prices that are starting to hit the web.

As far as the Rome Targa bindings go. I know they are really good bindings with a lot of positive reviews, but I still rate myself as a beginner. Will I really need a binding with that many adjustments? I would think I'd be able to buy the Arsenals and that'd be more than enough. I found a pair of '09 Arsenals for $125. The cheapest pair of Targa were '07's for $150. '09 Targas are running at least $170-$180 at reputable retailers. I question if the extra $50 is worth it for the Targa for a beginning rider.

After researching more about the Bataleon Airobic, I realized it's a park oriented board. I'll check out the Riot.

I might just wait to buy boots when I make my next trip, which may be in March or April. I'll have more choices and may luck out on finding a pair at a great price.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

try on some burton ions or rulers or hails

arsenals are NOT a beginner binding, i would not recommend them unless you absolutely know what you're getting into

the riot may be too much for you (in terms of money and board)
the evil twin would be a good compromise

the good thing is that there are deals to be found online

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 02-04-2009 at 10:50 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yea the Burton boots arent bad at all if they fit your feet right, i personally use Rulers and love them.
Cartels are a good binding up there with those Rome bindings if you can get your hands on those, medium flex.
The equivalent of the arsenals would be..the P1's?
You are looking at about the right board size for your weight..156ish

And as for the bindings...you dont plan to STAY a beginner do you?
The Arsenals as stated MAY be a bit rough and stiff for someone new, i'd recommend a mid flex binding like the Targas or Cartel. It should suit your needs for anything you want to do, if as you get better you find that you hate big jumps and just love fast carving tree's and powder then you can move into stiffer bindings, or if you find your a park monkey and like to jib things and ride rails all day you could try softer bindings like the 390's.

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Burton Rulers are one of the boots I tried and I had a pressure point on the top of my foot the minute I put them on, I didn't even lace them up before feeling it. The salesperson had me try a pair of Jeremy Jones, which felt like butter, but they are too soft for me at this time. I've all but made up my mind in not buying any boots right now and waiting until I take another trip to CO and visit a store that has more than 2 boots in my size and a lot more brands.

If the majority think I'd be happier with Targa, then who am I to argue. Time to start looking harder for a pair of Targa.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just FYI you should lace up your boots to test always. A lot of boots i tried have "pressure" points on the top of your ankle when unlaced because the tongue on the outer boot tongue is so stiff because its brand new and hasnt been bent into shape at all.

I have the same thing with my Rulers, but as soon as you tighten the upper laces it pulls the tongue into its proper position and the pressure point goes away. You may want to give them another try ...*shrug*

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-05-2009 at 12:34 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Been searching for some Targas and have a question. My boot size is a 9 and the sizes are S/M are for sizes 4-9 and the L/XL are for 9+. My feet aren't growing anymore. Which size binding should I get? Could I get away with either size?