Would this be good for a beginner? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
mdross

Default Would this be good for a beginner?

I have a couple questions about some used gear from craig's list. Basically i want to make sure that if i buy it i wouldn't be getting ripped off.

My questions are:
Would something like this be good for a beginner? By beginner i mean i have about 3 trips worth of snowboarding experience.
and,
How is the price? too much, or good deal?

Morrow Fury 153 Mens Snowboard with bindings and boots 10.5

Weight - 165
Boot size -6ft
Riding style - mostly just free riding on greens and blues, really just learning. I do a lot of plowing heal side and toe side right now :-)
Age - 27 pretty much done growing (as long as i dont get fat.)
budget - just want something to learn on and something to be able to avoid learning
Your location of riding- anywhere in northern CA, mostly the tahoe area. Sierra, kirkwood, northstar, sugarbowl, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah thats a good deal and seems like a good board to learn on. You never said how tall u are because the board could be to big or small.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
mdross

oop yeah sorry about that.. too much beer.

I actually put how tall i am under boot size lol. i'm 6foot even.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technine Icon View Post
Yeah thats a good deal and seems like a good board to learn on. You never said how tall u are because the board could be to big or small.
Unless you're an action figure with a 5" stance or so tall that your feet are 45" apart, height doesn't factor.

@OP:
If you're doing blues after 3 days, you'll be doing blacks and ground tricks soon. Just invest in a better board now so you don't have to buy one next season.

Don't buy used boots. There's a slim to none chance that those boots fit your foor. Boots are the most important part of your riding experience. Spend as much as you need to to find the perfect fit, regardless of brand.

Also, unless you're riding park all the time, the board is kinda short. But seeing as you're still a beginner you probably won't notice the difference. But still, you'll out-skill all the equipment there after a season if you haven't already.

Last edited by markee; 02-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
angeela

I don't know...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

A 153 height of a snowboard, and your 6ft. Should work out ok, slightly on the small side but only by a centimeter or so. As long as your done growing, it'll work out just fine.

-WolfSnow
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

153 should work ok for you, a tad smaller than i would ride...120 bucks is cheap, but i dont know. Buying NEW morrow boots is questionable at best, used ones that have been packed out and are probably as soft as can be ...i just cant say yes to this deal..see if you can get just the board and bindings for 75 and then go buy a decent pair of boots for yourself for 100-200 bucks. If you hurry you can buy boots on Sierrasnowboard.com for 40% off right now, so if you can get boots i paid 200 for several months ago for 120 bucks. Morrow boots and some others are just the lowest of the low...
Just make sure you go into a local shop and TRY on boots before you buy them online, try a lot of them on...some smaller shops may even price match Sierrasnowboarding+shipping...

Then when you inevitably upgrade next year or the year following you already have good boots.

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-04-2009 at 02:29 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What kind of advice are you guys giving!?! He is 6FT / 165 lbs and is not interested in freestyle. 153 is not going to have the edge hold to support him as he progresses. Not to mention he is out west. You should be learning on something between 158 - 161 depending on the manufacturer. Each board has different specs that will determine what weight it is meant to support. Buy something you can grow into. Pay more attention to the boots that you are getting.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well he's like brand new so he probably won't be able to tell the difference between 153 and 157. I was 135lbs when I started and I learned on a 157 plank of a Rossi. That being said, it's easier to learn improper technique on a shorter board than one you really have to work to turn.

But yeah as I said earlier... height does NOT factor into board length.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote