Advice on this jacket if you would be so kind - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Herman Bloom

Default Advice on this jacket if you would be so kind

Hi all,

Briefly introduced myself in another thread, but I'm a guy from the UK who will be spending a year (hopefully more!) in Canada from this May/June time. I have started snowboarding lessons and hope to spend most of my non-working time out on the slopes, probably near Calgary.

I currently have nothing in the way of equipment, and I don't really intend to change that until I actually get to Canada (I can rent a board and boots here and it seems silly to get one and drag it halfway across the planet in a few months time), but I have been looking around a bit for clothing. Main reason for this is that I'll need to get general clothing as soon as I get out there anyway (as I'll be needing much more cold weather gear than I currently need here in Surrey!), and from looking at this forum and other places, getting good quality and comfortable clothing is as important (if not more) than what board you are using.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Having checked some of the links to online retailers on this forum, I have come across a site that has a UK section, and to me they seem to be doing a great deal on a jacket:

Westbeach - The Canadian Snowboarding Original

It's the Westbeach YVR jacket on offer of the week if that link doesn't work properly. It looks like I need to spend well over £100 (around 180 Canadian Dollars I think), to get something I'd be confident would do the job of general use and snowboarding, so does this seem like a good price? I have looked around for reviews, but can't seem to see any, and the deal is only going for a week so I didn't know if I should spend the money now and get one item out of the way.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by Herman Bloom; 02-04-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Westbeach makes some nice stuff, loose-to-baggy fit

that jacket doesn't have any insulation, so you would need to layer up underneath when it gets cold

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Herman Bloom

Ah ok, that's a bit annoying but does it seem a decent deal? I'm not really sure how to rate jackets, other than keeping you warm, and if it's not insulated I'm not sure if its doing its job!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
fargo

If you get an insulated jacket you can't do much about it if it gets warm. I wear a shell - on warmer days I just have a T-shirt underneath and colder days you can layer up. More flexible in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Herman Bloom

That does make a lot of sense, not sure why I hadn't thought like that before! Ok, I'll make the purchase then, thanks for the advice.