Correct snowboard? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
kdq84

Default Correct snowboard?

Well after skiing for around the last 12 years of my life I just recently switched to snowboarding this season. In order to avoid dealing with questionable rental equipment I started the season by putting my trust in a local snowboarding gear shop and they set me up with a board that I am really starting to question if it is correct at all. The board they set me up with is a GNU MTX 161W with a set of large Titan Flux bindings. I am approximately 5’10”, weigh around 175pounds and wear a size 10 boot. The riding the board is seeing is New York state snowboarding, aka mainly man made snow with a day of powder every once in a while. Now for the questions…were they correct to set me up with a wide board? If I should not be on a wide board does anyone have any experience with large size Titan flux bindings, and would they fit on a normal width board? I have been contemplating just going and picking up a normal width board but I have also noticed that the base of the bindings is almost the same width as the wide board. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

board is too long and too wide

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
board is too long and too wide
What he said.
If they setup the board for you chances are they pulled out the toe ramp on the front of the binding. Im not familiar with those bindings in particular but i think most bindings have the ability to extend the toe portion outward. If you got a smaller board you would just push that back in so its not over the edge.

I cant believe a board shop would sell you that board. 161 isnt HORRIBLE for your size and could work, but you do not need a wide board.
You should post who it was so people can stay clear.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree with what has been said here. A 157 would probably been ideal for you and a regular width board would probably have been fine. Also, MTX?!

I'd also like to know what shop this was.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
kdq84

It was EMS…I should have known better to just outwardly trust a place that does not specifically specialize in snowboarding equipment. Their gear tends to be better than many of the other places in town but I am learning more and more to do copious amounts of research before buying. They claim to have a satisfaction guarantee but I would not expect that to go as far as a board that was used a few times. With regards to the bindings they do not have the extendable toe…The binding do not take up the entire width of the board but it does come close with probably less than an inch to spare. If I can’t find anyone that has experience with the bindings I will just measure the dimensions and compare them to a regular board. Thanks for the quick replies…I am going to give EMS a call and see what their “Satisfaction guarantee” really applies to.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
kdq84

I just called and I guess that I can actually exchange it under their guarantee. What size would you suggest other than not going with a wide board? Most of the conditions I will be riding will be man made granular packed with some powder from time to time
Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well its a good board probably even though you didnt statee the model name as far as i saw, just look for something around a 157 not wide. wides are for like at minimum 11 and up.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup 157 non wide will be your best bet. With a size 10 boot and a wide board you would probably have some problems getting on edge...some boot overhang is ok, but you dont want your bindings hanging over.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
kdq84

Ha Ha Ha, yea the entire name is GNU Carbon High Beam MTX Snowboard
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

That's a great board and in my opinion a good beginner board as well. Just get it between a 154-158 in a standard width and you should be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdq84 View Post
Ha Ha Ha, yea the entire name is GNU Carbon High Beam MTX Snowboard
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote