Is it necessary to get a new snowboard? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
nshockeyplaya

Default Is it necessary to get a new snowboard?

I bought a snowboard when I was in 8th grade and now I'm a sophmore in college, so its been a good 6-7 years since i bought my current set up. I rode it last year decently, but had to buy new boots (i think i purchased a pair that was too big however). I am now beginning to feel very shaky switching toe to heel carving and feel fine in all other areas. I question that I am feeling toe drag or my board just isnt cutting it anymore. My current height and weight is 6'2" 240 lbs and I'm riding a (2001-2003)? Arbor Woodie Wide 162 snowboard with Large Ride Bindings and a pair of Burton Tribute boots size 13, which is my shoesize and I maybe should have gotten 12s now that i read up but my toes do barely touch the ends but i heard smaller sizes will expand. Do you think my troubles progressing are due to an insufficient board? It doesnt feel bad riding other than that and I'm on a college budget. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im confused, you rode a 162 Wide in 8th grade? Wow thats a big board...so early..at 240 you can probably still rock a 163 but you may need to go larger like 168..not sure another big guy will have to speak up

Its really up to you, old boards as they get ridden start to lose some of their stiffness and become a lot more flexible...your boards getting up there in age so it maybe time for a new one..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
nshockeyplaya

what would it feel like if your board was becoming too flexible?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshockeyplaya View Post
what would it feel like if your board was becoming too flexible?
you will feel the board flex over every single bump in the trail rather then cutting through it...

the shaky carves are due to nicked edges...

get your edges tuned or do them yourself.

the board is on the smaller side for your size, but still manageable.
Rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
nshockeyplaya

I actually just had it tuned and there was no difference, I guy at the snowboard shop said since my boots are 2 sizes bigger I should move my bindings back since there is a much larger overhang with the same binding set up. Should i move them back?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshockeyplaya View Post
I actually just had it tuned and there was no difference, I guy at the snowboard shop said since my boots are 2 sizes bigger I should move my bindings back since there is a much larger overhang with the same binding set up. Should i move them back?
Well, overhang is bad because you don't want your toes or heel to dig into the snow, ever, but along with that you ideally want your weight centered laterally so you have equivalent heal-side and toe-side response.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think it's toe drag as you mentioned you don't feel comfortable going toe to heel but good everywhere else. However, as others have mentioned, check to see if your boots are centered on the board. Here is a thread about a person who has waaaayyy to much toe overhang:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...-overhang.html

Move your bindings back (heelside) until the toe and heel overhang are about even. If that isn't the issue, maybe you need to adjust your highback for a little more forward lean so you get the response you need. Some boots have a more forward lean to them than others so added forward lean on the highback may be necessary. Try these first before considering a new board.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
nshockeyplaya

Well I moved my bindings back and widened my stance a bit and it was a significant improvement. Sometimes it still doesnt feel that good and the board seems to hop over a lot of powder patches rather than cut through it, is that due to too much flex? I also realized my board actually isnt even a wide board and I am wearing a 13 boot. Im considering getting a good deal in the offseason for a new board and figured this might be a good time to invest since my feet are 2 sizes larger and I am 40 lbs heavier than when I got my current board. What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think a new board @ the end of season or during the off season would be a great investment. I rode a Palmer Classic for like 6 yrs and this year I finally upgraded, gotta love student loan money! Snowboarding tech has come a long way in the past 10 years and they've finally stopped treating snowboards like a large ski. I picked up a NeverSummer SL-R and there is absolutly no comparison to my old board!
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
nshockeyplaya

Any other comments would be appreciated! Also if I do decide to go through with it, what month(s) do the best deals usually occur in?