Help out a noobie - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Default Help out a noobie

I have just recently gotten into snowboarding and bought a used board at a used sporting goods store for $50. It is a Burton uninc 160 and I'll attach a picture. I don't really know anything about snowboards but I bought this one because when I went up with my family and first learned how to snowboard, I used a flow 155 board so I thought a 160 would be just fine but I don't really know how much of a difference there is between a 160 and a 155. From what I've read, longer boards go faster and are easier for staying in carves at high speeds. I am about 6ft tall and weigh about 135 lbs so is this board good for me? I am just looking for an all mountain board but I think that this board won't really be good for tricks so that's not really the entire mountain. Also I have no information about my board or the uninc brand, I know of Burton but I don't know anything else so if there is anything cool or interesting abouty board please tell me. I don't have boots or bindings either so if you have any information or reccomendations let me know.


My board:
Cierex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,820
Default

It will likely be a bit much...since ur only 135 lbs...but ur a beginner so it won't matter cause ya don't know the difference....just go out and ride as much as possible...which is the most important....besides great fitting boots.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Naturesabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 85
Default

135lbs at 6ft?!?!?!?! I'm 6ft and weigh 200! does that make me fat? :O
aaanyways pretty much the previous post. for bindings, it's safe to go with name brands, try to find sales(burton sale on The-House right now) or used stuff because it'll save you a lot on you first setup. Goggles don't need to be anything fancy you can find them easy peasy for under fifty and they will more than do the job. Helmets ehhhh I can' tell you much about because I've used the same one I bought on sale for two years now.
Naturesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
It will likely be a bit much...since ur only 135 lbs...but ur a beginner so it won't matter cause ya don't know the difference....just go out and ride as much as possible...which is the most important....besides great fitting boots.
Well I have gained about 5 lbs in the past month or so from lifting and working out and I am looking to be around 150-160 lbs come summer time. I will probably be renting for the rest of this season because I don't have the money to buy everything right now so if I'm about 6ft 155 lbs by next season, how much better of a fit would a 160 be? Any recommendations for boot brands? I was just thinking the cheapest Burton boots.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturesabre View Post
135lbs at 6ft?!?!?!?! I'm 6ft and weigh 200! does that make me fat? :O
aaanyways pretty much the previous post. for bindings, it's safe to go with name brands, try to find sales(burton sale on The-House right now) or used stuff because it'll save you a lot on you first setup. Goggles don't need to be anything fancy you can find them easy peasy for under fifty and they will more than do the job. Helmets ehhhh I can' tell you much about because I've used the same one I bought on sale for two years now.
Haha no you aren't fat, I'm just a lanky soccer player. I was thinking about the Burton freestyle bindings because I've heard that those are great, cheap bindings. On the other hand, the mountain closest to us has a tent sale in the fall where they sell off some of their used equipment so I might go check out what I can get there for around 50% retail price according to a worker. They use Flow brand equipment and I really like the easy in, easy out bindings. I have goggles that I got for Christmas and they work well, they are some Scott brand model that I think my parents saw at the mountain closest to us. I am currently using a slalom helmet that I borrowed from my friend that skis often so I'll probably do some more reasearch on both of those.

Thanks to of you,
-cierex
Cierex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ridinbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bend
Posts: 1,214
Default

Time to start your morning with lots of bacon, everyday!
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,452
Default

Yeah that's a bit of a big board for a 135 pound guy... It may hurt your learning curve, unless you're pretty natural at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturesabre View Post
135lbs at 6ft?!?!?!?! I'm 6ft and weigh 200! does that make me fat? :O
Yes. If you believe in the Body Mass Index you'd be half way through overweight, and on your way to obese! For what it's worth, I'm 5'7" and 175 and have the same BMI as you.

I think we are ALL overweight in North America. Time for us all to give up the crap and get healthy again!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
speedjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierex View Post
Well I have gained about 5 lbs in the past month or so from lifting and working out and I am looking to be around 150-160 lbs come summer time. I will probably be renting for the rest of this season because I don't have the money to buy everything right now so if I'm about 6ft 155 lbs by next season, how much better of a fit would a 160 be? Any recommendations for boot brands? I was just thinking the cheapest Burton boots.

-cierex
25lbs in 4 months, theres gonna be a lot of fat unless you hit that juice lol.
no just be consistent and get your diet right. dont expect hitting 150-160 this summer without looking a bit flabby.
I am 5'7 and 145lbs. I dead lift and squat 225 for reps. my bench sucks only at 135lbs for reps.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
25lbs in 4 months, theres gonna be a lot of fat unless you hit that juice lol.
no just be consistent and get your diet right. dont expect hitting 150-160 this summer without looking a bit flabby.
I am 5'7 and 145lbs. I dead lift and squat 225 for reps. my bench sucks only at 135lbs for reps.
Well not necessarily 25 pounds right away, probably 15 by summer time and my goal weight is about 160 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
Time to start your morning with lots of bacon, everyday!
I usually have 4 eggs with sausage and cheese every single day for breakfast but I'm one of those kids who just don't gain weight at all :/

Thanks,
-cierex
Cierex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
speedjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierex View Post
Well not necessarily 25 pounds right away, probably 15 by summer time and my goal weight is about 160 lbs.



I usually have 4 eggs with sausage and cheese every single day for breakfast but I'm one of those kids who just don't gain weight at all :/

Thanks,
-cierex
throw in some protein shake and get an app that get you the correct calories intake you need every day. 500 over maintenance calories.
4 eggs is too much per day.
dont forget carbs and fat intake too. and no, just by eating protein rich food will not grow you muscles.

Last edited by speedjason; 02-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah that's a bit of a big board for a 135 pound guy... It may hurt your learning curve, unless you're pretty natural at it.



Yes. If you believe in the Body Mass Index you'd be half way through overweight, and on your way to obese! For what it's worth, I'm 5'7" and 175 and have the same BMI as you.

I think we are ALL overweight in North America. Time for us all to give up the crap and get healthy again!
BMI is BS. I was a cyclist with top ten finishes at nationals, body fat of 7 % , 5' 11" and 195 lb. I was not fat. Of course that was then and this is now.
Vanderkalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums