Very Interesting - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Very Interesting

I saw a board not to long ago on Sierrasnowboard.com for $1,900!
The board is the Palmer Platinum LE. It even has 100% carbon construction!

Does anybody have any other info on this board?? Why it's so expensive? Or even why i hardly ever see the palmer name in the world of snowboards? Seems like a decent brand...
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If it's carbon, I wonder if aka carbon fiber. If so, then I'm not surprised at the price, anything carbon fiber particularly automotive and racing are overkill with that stuff. Pricey material and labor to fab up a board with that material. Ultralight as well I would think.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
powderjet81

Ive read a review that they are very responsive and light boards but that they tend to break really easily. And that palmer will normally refuse to do a warranty on them.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

seems odd in the auto industry carbon fiber is resilient and easy to repair.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Unregistered

Hockey sticks are made mostly of carbon fibre these days, and when they break... honestly, that's it. I can see why they don't do warranty on them.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
powderjet81

i probably shouldn't of said break because the board didn't snap. Its that the topsheet lost a chunk on the first day and then continued to delam in strips. And he didnt hit anything either. When he went to warranty it they told him it was his fault.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
davis

The shop that I managed carried Palmer decks the first year at our newest location. The owner decided to carry them, God knows why. It would have been easier to sell ice cream to an eskimo. He bought three (yes, 3!) of those Platinum LE decks. 2 never left the store room. The third was placed high out of reach on the wall and never sold. I suggested some sort of raffle at $10/ticket, because I knew they would never sell.

Yes, they're feather light. But seriously, who wants a $2K deck? Let's see should I buy one deck for $2K, or 6 different decks for any/all possible scenarios for the $2K?

The application of carbon fiber in the mountain bike world is probably more appropriate than the auto industry. Carbon bikes are known for being light, incredibly overpriced, harsh riding, and fragile. Not exactly a complimentary group of adjectives there.

The Palmer decks that I have ridden seemed mediocre. The fact that his name was on them made them even less appealing, IMHO.

Powderjet: The scenario you are describing is known (in the bike world) as JRA. As in, "I don't know why the fork/rim/derailleur/etc broke, I was JUST RIDING ALONG, and snap! No, I didn't hit anything!" I know you're just repeating something that someone else said, but a chunk just flying off, and he didn't hit anything? BS.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seedy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Carbon bikes are known for being light, incredibly overpriced, harsh riding, and fragile.
I thought they were supposed to be "laterally stiff yet vertically compliant!"