Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Directional board vs true twin for east coast (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/128449-directional-board-vs-true-twin-east.html)

Sublimaze 02-16-2014 09:46 PM

Directional board vs true twin for east coast

I understand why someone would want a directional board for powder, but if you only rode groomers/hard pack, is there any disadvantage to riding a centered true twin vs a slightly set back directional twin?

Jason 02-16-2014 10:24 PM

Do you plan on riding switch or making park laps?

linvillegorge 02-16-2014 11:02 PM

The majority of people are better off with a directional board. True twins dominate the market, but how many people do you see on the mountain constantly hucking spins and riding a lot of switch? Yeah... exactly.

I prefer directional twins or a little bit of setback myself.

knoxious 02-16-2014 11:13 PM

I've had a great time riding a fully directional stick for the last few years. I got a twin to have something a bit more playful and, yes, to try to improve on switch.

No harm in a direction stick = my 2c.

scottb7 02-17-2014 06:46 AM

Learning to ride switch is one of the few challenges one can take on in snowboarding that doesn't require getting hurt. In other words get a true twin and take your time and learn to ride switch. You will be so happy you did because, one, you will be better then most people out there. And two, it will make you a all around more versatile rider. Then you can do surface 180's and 360's...

Just go slow and carve big wide turns getting used to it, then over time speed up, and bring it in making less wide.

Believe me, after this other things start to hurt i.e. boxes and rails are great but learning curve means getting some bruises.

Sublimaze 02-17-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1543281)
Do you plan on riding switch or making park laps?

Understood. I was trying to take switch and park out of the discussion. I guess my main question was if you're only riding on groomers, will a directional board inherently carve better. I'm not trying to compare a twin park board vs a freeride board, more like a Cobra vs Proto HD. Also, if a board is set back, does that mean that the side cut is also set back?

chomps1211 02-17-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sublimaze (Post 1543721)
Understood. I was trying to take switch and park out of the discussion. I guess my main question was if you're only riding on groomers, will a directional board inherently carve better. I'm not trying to compare a twin park board vs a freeride board, more like a Cobra vs Proto HD. Also, if a board is set back, does that mean that the side cut is also set back?

I don't know if the side cut on a directional board is referred to as "setback" but, yes! If the reference marks on a directional board include a setback to be centered? The board and it's sidecut are designed to be ridden with that setback. You would Not want to actually center your bindings on a setback board!

btw, it is possible to ride switch just fine on a setback board! I can't say how well that would work in the park! :dunno: But cruising groomers? I ride the corduroy switch on my Arbor alla time! In fact, I learned to ride switch on that board! (...a true twin is easier tho!) :thumbsup: