Best board for me on Mt baker. . - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best board for me on Mt baker. .

The usual. . I am looking to get a new board cause the one I ride is a burton motion 156 from like 10 years ago.

I am 5'8ish and 145lbs and do the trees, groomers, no backcoutry and no park(Baker has non) but like hitting some baby jumps and carving. . .not to much hard charging unless I'm really feeling it. . I would say I am intermediate and can get around the whole place with not a problem. I have some new Malavita bindings I got for a great deal and am a 9.5 boot (K2 Darko). . .

Am considering a never summer Sl or Heritage but am really open to an good board that is made locally or in the US. .I hear great things about the k2 raygun also . . Thanks in advance for any tips or advice

Last edited by Spaceship; 02-17-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Between those two I'd say it comes down your ability level and how much you want to spend. The Raygun is solid all around board, handles everything pretty well but won't blow your mind in any one area. Personally I'm not a huge fan of flat camber, but for an intermediate rider it will be a big upgrade from what you have now and can usually be found on sale for around $200.

I think most people would agree the SL is the superior board hands down. Great for carving, super damp, excellent in powder, yet still playful. Definitely a board you will appreciate more as you become a better rider, however you are going to pay for NS quality and will probably have to drop twice as much as you would for a Raygun.

You have a lot of options though with the type of riding you like to do. If you're not going in the park and not hard charging just about any all mt freestyle type ride would work for you. With the wide variety of hybrid camber options out there it's just a matter of personal preference.
Brewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Nice one. .

Thanks for the reply. . .I figure if I'm gonna buy a board I might as well go for the best cause I'll have it for a while. . .Also looking at the Jones Mountain twin.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you are gonna get a never summer you might want to wait till next season. The Trooper is the replacement for the SL and really looks like an improvement.

Other boards that I think are pretty good for NW riding; lib tech LA Nina or landvik phoenix, k2 turbo dream( my favorite), yes basic, flow drifter.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

All solid decks, but I think the NS or Jones are going to be the best do everything option. Different hybrid profiles so more personal preference than anything, but I'd go SL for a bit more float in pow or MT for better carving on hard pack.
Brewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

You won't find a board that rides better at Baker than a Lib. It's pretty much the home base for Mervin.

Pretty much all of the profiles (other than BTX rocker) will work great there for what you want. All depends on how aggressive you like and how big a fella ya's are!
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have thought about Lib Tech cause everyone says they are really nice and the designs are pretty sweet(not that big of a deal to me though). . .

I am looking at a slightly used NS Proto ct 157 for a pretty decent deal. . .Any thoughts on if this to much board? =]
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceship View Post
I have thought about Lib Tech cause everyone says they are really nice and the designs are pretty sweet(not that big of a deal to me though). . .

I am looking at a slightly used NS Proto ct 157 for a pretty decent deal. . .Any thoughts on if this to much board? =]
A 157 I would consider a bit large for you especially with the blunted tips. 152-55 range would be better. I would take an SL for what you want to do though
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Hmm. .

Interesting. . .I have always ridden this 156 motion and thought that I could go up to 158 being 5'8"-9" . . Always assumed if i picked smaller than 156 I would get eaten up alive by the bumps and stuff. . (And the SL is nearing the top pick. .Mountain twin just looks so sexy=])
Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceship View Post
Interesting. . .I have always ridden this 156 motion and thought that I could go up to 158 being 5'8"-9" . . Always assumed if i picked smaller than 156 I would get eaten up alive by the bumps and stuff. . (And the SL is nearing the top pick. .Mountain twin just looks so sexy=])
Its all preference to some extent. I ride a 158 SL @5'7" 185lbs which I consider perfect or up to 5-6" of snow, then I pull out my 160 powder snake. My park board is a 155 machete
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote