Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Effective edge lenght or stiffness of a board for statbility? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/128649-effective-edge-lenght-stiffness-board-statbility.html)

snowman55 02-17-2014 11:56 AM

Effective edge lenght or stiffness of a board for statbility?

What's more important when it comes to stability for a board? It's effective edge lenght or stiffness.

Let's say two boards have exact same design (camber profile, side cut, edge tech etc...) but
board one is softer but has longer effective edge and board two has shorter effective edge but stiffer. Which board will be more stable at higher speeds?

speedjason 02-17-2014 12:03 PM

high speed what? flat basing or turning?
soft board tend to wash out high speed turning because it bends too much. shorter boards are more subject to imperfection in snow.
harder board can be a bitch at low speed so can longer softer board.
its all depends.

snowman55 02-17-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedjason (Post 1544801)
high speed what? flat basing or turning?
soft board tend to wash out high speed turning because it bends too much. shorter boards are more subject to imperfection in snow.
harder board can be a bitch at low speed so can longer softer board.
its all depends.

Not flat basing but straight lining on a slight edge and turning while going fast.

linvillegorge 02-17-2014 12:14 PM

It's not that simple. There's other factors at play. The primary one being dampness. A damper board will feel more stable. Stiffness doesn't necessarily equal dampness. Dampness really just comes down to personal preference. Some people like a really damp board while other people think that really damp boards just feel dead and lifeless.

snowman55 02-17-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linvillegorge (Post 1544857)
It's not that simple. There's other factors at play. The primary one being dampness. A damper board will feel more stable. Stiffness doesn't necessarily equal dampness. Dampness really just comes down to personal preference. Some people like a really damp board while other people think that really damp boards just feel dead and lifeless.

I thought dampness is more of how a board feels more so than how a board is actually riding. Even though a board may be getting bump around by imperfect snow, you "feel" more stable on a damp board since you don't feel the bumps.

At least that's how I understood the "dampness" characteristics of a board.
If not, which board will feel more "damp" and stable from my original question. One with longer effective edge, or stiffer board.

poutanen 02-17-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowman55 (Post 1544833)
Not flat basing but straight lining on a slight edge and turning while going fast.

Generally effective edge is not doing much when you're not carving. For straight lining, a longer, stiffer board (all other factors being equal) will be better.

That said, why do you feel like you're missing straight line speed?

linvillegorge 02-17-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowman55 (Post 1544921)
I thought dampness is more of how a board feels more so than how a board is actually riding. Even though a board may be getting bump around by imperfect snow, you "feel" more stable on a damp board since you don't feel the bumps.

At least that's how I understood the "dampness" characteristics of a board.
If not, which board will feel more "damp" and stable from my original question. One with longer effective edge, or stiffer board.

Stiffness nor effective edge length play much of a role in terms of dampness. Dampness comes down to the construction of the board. In general, stiffer boards tend to be damper, but that isn't a rule carved in stone. For example, the Capita Black Snowboard of Death is a pretty stiff board but isn't damp at all. Never Summers tend to be super damp regardless of flex.

As to your comments on dampness, feel is reality. If you feel more stable, then you are more stable. A damp board will definitely feel more stable over bumpy terrain as the board is absorbing more of that shock and vibration leading to a more stable ride. Some people prefer that feel, others don't. What some interpret as stable, others interpret as dead and lifeless. Different strokes for different folks.

snowman55 02-17-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 1544977)
Generally effective edge is not doing much when you're not carving. For straight lining, a longer, stiffer board (all other factors being equal) will be better.

That said, why do you feel like you're missing straight line speed?

I've been riding more crud lately and I feel very unstable at times going fast on my medium stiff boards (TRS, Rossi Angus and Templar).

I generally prefer shorter boards and I was wondering if getting longer medium stiff board will be better or same length stiffer board will be better for these conditions at higher speed.

linvillegorge 02-17-2014 01:02 PM

Not to hijack, but what do you think of that Templar overall? I just ordered last year's model for $140? Seemed like what I'm looking for. Mild camber underfoot with rocker in the tips, mid-flex, and slight setback. I figure for $140 if it's not what I'm looking for I'll just flip it on Craigslist for what I paid and move on.

But to answer your question, no. You want a damper board. Not necessarily longer or stiffer, just damper. This is where NS excels. Those boards are damp as all hell.

BigmountainVMD 02-17-2014 01:11 PM

I think it depends on the weight of the rider. I've ridden two prototype boards, long effective edge (BX style) boards that were really soft. Designed to get new riders carving earlier. I had fun on the thing going slow, but as soon as my speed and momentum (200 lbs) picked up, the nose essentially folded over during a hard carve... on a green run.

I was able to carve faster on a shorter, stiffer board.

Obviously everyone wants a compromise, but if you gave me a 163 soft ass BX board, and a stiff 156 twin, I would choose the stiff shorter one.

After all... whats the point of having a big one if it's always soft and flimsy?