Buying first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying first board

5'9''
160lbs
I'm just starting out and am hoping to eventually be able to do some freestyle stuff but for now I need a board that'll get me down the hill in control and without falling

I live in Minnesota so unfortunately no mountains

I've gone snowboarding a few times now and am starting to figure out the basics of turning and carving. But I now want to take snowboarding to the next level. My dad has an old Lamar SE 163 board that all I'd have to do is replace the bindings. Or would it be smart of me to purchase like the Sims protocol package from sports authority?

I really just need guidance on what board for a beginner... Or will that Lamar board work for the time being?
tylermoney1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Dago91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich,CH
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1- how old is the Lamar board exactly? Pictures of the board would be useful.

2- maybe go on a site like Craigslist and buy some bindings to get thru for the rest of the season.

3-What's your boot size. You more then likely would be best with a 158 or shorter depending on your riding style.

4- If you progress enough buy a new board from a local shop or a site like backcountry in May thru June you will find boards and bindings for 50 to 60% off regular price.

Last edited by Dago91; 02-17-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Dago91 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago91 View Post
1- how old is the Lamar board exactly? Pictures of the board would be useful.

2- maybe go on a site like Craigslist and buy some bindings to get thru for the rest of the season.

3-What's your boot size. You more then likely would be best with a 158 or shorter depending on your riding style.

4- If you progress enough buy a new board from a local shop or a site like backcountry in May thru June you will find boards and bindings for 50 to 60% off regular price.
Alright I'm not home right now but when I get back I'll put up some pictures of the Lamar board and ask my dad how old it is. But when I do get to buying that new board... Any suggestions on the brand/size I should be looking at? I don't snowboard EVERY weekend so I don't need the most expensive option btw my shoe size is 10.5-11

Last edited by tylermoney1; 02-17-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
tylermoney1 is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Dago91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich,CH
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermoney1 View Post
Alright I'm not home right now but when I get back I'll put up some pictures of the Lamar board and ask my dad how old it is. But when I do get to buying that new board... Any suggestions on the brand/size I should be looking at? I don't snowboard EVERY weekend so I don't need the most expensive option btw my shoe size is 10.5-11

No prob.. I would prob suggest a board like the k2 raygun.. really stable board but very fun to ride.

Bindings really depends on the flex you want.

Medium flex

Burton cartel non EST unless a Burton board
Rome 390 boss
Flux ds

Stiffer flex

Flux sf-45
Burton malaria
Dago91 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago91 View Post
No prob.. I would prob suggest a board like the k2 raygun.. really stable board but very fun to ride.

Bindings really depends on the flex you want.

Medium flex

Burton cartel non EST unless a Burton board
Rome 390 boss
Flux ds

Stiffer flex

Flux sf-45
Burton malaria
Okay so I found out the Lamar board is 5 years old.... I also happened to be right next to The House outlet store today and took some names on boards they had for really cheap
Ltd quest
M3 headz
ltd venom
Ltd fury
ltd transition

Are any of these boards worth it?
tylermoney1 is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Dago91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich,CH
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermoney1 View Post
Okay so I found out the Lamar board is 5 years old.... I also happened to be right next to The House outlet store today and took some names on boards they had for really cheap
Ltd quest
M3 headz
ltd venom
Ltd fury
ltd transition

Are any of these boards worth it?
I have never heard of any of those brands..although I have lived in Europe now for almost 3 years sorry couldn't help more.

5 years is not that old.. pick up some bindings for now and buy a brand name board after April when the deep discounts hit. If Yu want something now the raygun is $350.00 brand new.

Last edited by Dago91; 02-18-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Dago91 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The 163 would be a bit big for you. I was a similar weight and I ride a 153.
You can ride it but it would be a little bit harder to initiate turns.

If you are committing to the sport what everyone will tell you is to shell out for the boots first and foremost then get board/bindings. Grab a 2nd hand board if you need.
Any board will get you down the hill :P I learned (not well) on a stiff 158 which beat the hell outta me.

Something like the Raygun is a good board that will take you through as far as you need it. Depends on how much you are willing to shell out.
Cant quite comment on the ltd as I have not heard of them/ridden them.

Last edited by Jollybored; 02-18-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Jollybored is offline  
Reply

Tags
beginner, board advice

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome