Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Sizing for Never summer Cobra (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129025-sizing-never-summer-cobra.html)

dcflw 02-18-2014 04:19 AM

Sizing for Never summer Cobra

I have some one to buy my current board. I'm 6'1 b/w 180 and 190, size 10 boots, not sure between the 158 and 161.Is there a significant difference? I usually ride shorter boards around 156-158 because I like to be able to make quick turns. Any suggestions?

Wes_Dark 02-18-2014 06:32 AM

158 is the size you want.

shreddog 02-27-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcflw (Post 1548281)
I have some one to buy my current board. I'm 6'1 b/w 180 and 190, size 10 boots, not sure between the 158 and 161.Is there a significant difference? I usually ride shorter boards around 156-158 because I like to be able to make quick turns. Any suggestions?

I'm also interested in this board. I've always ridden Burton boards and there is always a sizing chart with their boards.

I'm not sure why NS doesn't supply a sizing chart. I called them and they only asked me my height. I thought it was more about weight, but ok.

I currently ride a 158.5 Rippey and I'm 5' 9" and about 170-175lbs. I can't decide between a 155 or a 158.5 if I go with this board. NS suggested the 158.

Loftness 02-27-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreddog (Post 1575746)
I currently ride a 158.5 Rippey and I'm 5' 9" and about 170-175lbs. I can't decide between a 155 or a 158.5 if I go with this board. NS suggested the 158.

What size boot? You and I are the same height and weight, I have a size 9 boot. I own three NS boards (SL, Heritage, and Ripsaw). My first was the SL 155. I rode the crap out of that board in east coast stuff. Going out west I picked up a 160 Heritage. I mainly do all-mountain stuff and am pretty directional, and I did well with it, though I felt it was at my top end for size.

For the Ripsaw I chose a 156 over the 159. At first it felt on the small end, b/c I was coming off of the Heritage, but by day two it felt perfect. I mess about more on it than I would the Heritage.

Back to you...if you're a more all-mountain/groomer type of rider, go with the 158. You're already used to the size, and the Cobra is pretty agile. If you tend to mess around more, do quicker turns, trees, etc... then the 155 can work too. Honestly either one will be great for you, but the 158 will probably feel best right away.

Oh, and to the OP, 158 for you as well I'd suggest.

shreddog 02-27-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftness (Post 1575898)
What size boot? You and I are the same height and weight, I have a size 9 boot. I own three NS boards (SL, Heritage, and Ripsaw). My first was the SL 155. I rode the crap out of that board in east coast stuff. Going out west I picked up a 160 Heritage. I mainly do all-mountain stuff and am pretty directional, and I did well with it, though I felt it was at my top end for size.

For the Ripsaw I chose a 156 over the 159. At first it felt on the small end, b/c I was coming off of the Heritage, but by day two it felt perfect. I mess about more on it than I would the Heritage.

Back to you...if you're a more all-mountain/groomer type of rider, go with the 158. You're already used to the size, and the Cobra is pretty agile. If you tend to mess around more, do quicker turns, trees, etc... then the 155 can work too. Honestly either one will be great for you, but the 158 will probably feel best right away.

Oh, and to the OP, 158 for you as well I'd suggest.

I'm also a size 9 boot. I'm definitely more all-mountain/groomer. Spending most of my time in Vermont, I was looking for something that was pretty good on the hard packed/icy conditions I tend to see more than I would like. Sounds like the 158 is the way to go.

One more thing -How do you like the Ripsaw compared to the SL? I considered the SL and the Cobra but I just found out about the Ripsaw. Since you seem to be in the NE also, was curious as to how they performed in these conditions. I'm looking for the least amount of drama getting down the hill.

Thanks!

Loftness 02-27-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreddog (Post 1575930)
One more thing -How do you like the Ripsaw compared to the SL? I considered the SL and the Cobra but I just found out about the Ripsaw. Since you seem to be in the NE also, was curious as to how they performed in these conditions. I'm looking for the least amount of drama getting down the hill.

Thanks!

Well the SL (which just got phased out for the Stormtrooper btw) is much more flexible and 'loose'. It's a true do anything board with their R/C profile. I liked it a lot. I test rode a Cobra a few weeks ago and between the SL and Cobra I would personally choose the Cobra. I didn't try the Stormtrooper b/c I didn't want to confuse myself further. :)

The Ripsaw is completely different from any NS board I've ridden. It's more like the Proto than anything I guess. The extended camber zones make it much more stable than the SL, or even my Heritage. It happily runs flat and straight if you want it to whereas the SL is happier on an edge going straight. You can literally point the Ripsaw in a direction and it just goes. It's much stiffer than the SL, but not on the top end of stiffness. It's enough to be damp (plows through crud), but the extended camber actually gives it really nice pop if you want it. It kind of wants you to make jumps when you can, and landings are stable.

The Ripsaw is *much* more aggressive than the SL. It really wants to move. When I rode the demo I found myself smiling near the end of a run and thinking "if I buy this it's going to get me into trouble." Edge hold is great, and speeds are stable. If you're a decent rider it's a hard board to make wash out. All that said, if it's really icy out this board will take many people outside of their speed comfort zone bc it is so fast. Last week on crazy ice I found myself waiting until the last minute to strap in b/c if I did it too early before everyone else was ready it was a real pain in the ass to try and stand still.

For me, the Ripsaw is sexy. It's fast and aggressive but is still fun to mess around on. It's not a beginner board, but it can make an intermediate rider better by pushing the envelope a little. It's not for everyone.

Dutty 02-27-2014 09:14 AM

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think I would buy a Cobra for hardpack. It tends to get a little squirrely at high speeds in hardpack conditions. It is an amazing board when you have fresh snow down, and it can certainly handle icy/hardpack conditions, but I doubt it is optimal.
If you are riding a lot of trees and moguls and not hitting top speed much, then it should still be a pretty solid board. It has great rotation speed for an all mountain board.

shreddog 02-27-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutty (Post 1575986)
I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think I would buy a Cobra for hardpack. It tends to get a little squirrely at high speeds in hardpack conditions. It is an amazing board when you have fresh snow down, and it can certainly handle icy/hardpack conditions, but I doubt it is optimal.
If you are riding a lot of trees and moguls and not hitting top speed much, then it should still be a pretty solid board. It has great rotation speed for an all mountain board.

What would you suggest instead?

Dutty 02-27-2014 09:53 AM

That depends, what kind of terrain do you stick to? Do you do trees / moguls at all or are you mostly on groomers? Are you in the air a lot or mostly stay grounded? How much do you value being able to hit max speed with lots of stability? Do you spend much time riding switch?
Also, are you committed to Neversummer? I have heard good things about boards magnatraction for keeping a good edge on hardpack.
I picked up the Cobra because I wanted something to do tree runs and still had decent float for heavy powder.

shreddog 02-27-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutty (Post 1576106)
That depends, what kind of terrain do you stick to? Do you do trees / moguls at all or are you mostly on groomers? Are you in the air a lot or mostly stay grounded? How much do you value being able to hit max speed with lots of stability? Do you spend much time riding switch?
Also, are you committed to Neversummer? I have heard good things about boards magnatraction for keeping a good edge on hardpack.
I picked up the Cobra because I wanted something to do tree runs and still had decent float for heavy powder.

Nothing fancy. Mostly groomers, like to go medium fast, not really hardcharging and definitely mostly on the gorund. Ride mostly blacks, but not double blacks. I don't hit the trees and do not ride switch. Looking for a board that has very good edge hold and stability on the east coast but also is not awful in the powder as I do go out west once a year. Currently ride a Burton 2000 Rippey 158.5 so looking for something a little different just to switch it up a little.