Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Detuning Magetraction questions (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129265-detuning-magetraction-questions.html)

NZRide 02-18-2014 04:52 PM

Detuning Magetraction questions

Hey there,

Just purchased my wife a new Lib tech TRS and read a few comments about some finding the magnetraction a bit too much, out of the box.
Just a quick background, she is coming from an aggressive camber board so not needing or looking for catchfree so thats not the goal, just want it to be rideable (which maybe it is out of the box compared to aggressive camber board? idk?) I don't expect to need to blunt the heck out of it, I guess is what I'm saying.
I see Libtech sell tuning tool but very little around on info I could find. Have people with magnetraction baords mostly found the need to detune from factory, and if so, how did you do it?, just blunting tip and tails with regular file or getting edge bevel of a couple of degrees off the base say? taken to store? or can you do this with their tuning tool yourself (set bevel angles that is or does it just give a straight 90 degree?).
Just wondering what type of de-tuning you did and what felt good to many people (obviously understand everyone has different preferences), but if a I get a few saying the same thing will give me a good starting point.
Any info would be great.

thanks,

snowman55 02-18-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZRide (Post 1551193)
Hey there,

Just purchased my wife a new Lib tech TRS and read a few comments about some finding the magnetraction a bit too much, out of the box.
Just a quick background, she is coming from an aggressive camber board so not needing or looking for catchfree so thats not the goal, just want it to be rideable (which maybe it is out of the box compared to aggressive camber board? idk?) I don't expect to need to blunt the heck out of it, I guess is what I'm saying.
I see Libtech sell tuning tool but very little around on info I could find. Have people with magnetraction baords mostly found the need to detune from factory, and if so, how did you do it?, just blunting tip and tails with regular file or getting edge bevel of a couple of degrees off the base say? taken to store? or can you do this with their tuning tool yourself (set bevel angles that is or does it just give a straight 90 degree?).
Just wondering what type of de-tuning you did and what felt good to many people (obviously understand everyone has different preferences), but if a I get a few saying the same thing will give me a good starting point.
Any info would be great.

thanks,

I have a TRS and I put a 1 degree base and 1 degree side bevel on mine. I was told by Lib that the new boards come with 0 degree for both base and side from the factory. I then rode it and found it little catchy at times so I just took a diamond stone (blue) and lightly went over the mag bumps few times and made it a smoother ride.

Have her ride it first before detuning it. She may like it as is. Depending on the type of riding she does and conditions she rides in, you may not need to do anything.

You don't really need to get the special file. I just used the one I got from RaceWax that I've been using on non Mag boards and it worked fine.

Varza 02-18-2014 05:01 PM

Their tuning tool gives you 90 and 88 (one side or the other).

My friend got a B-Nice at around the same time we all got our boards (she has the only Magnetraction of the group). We went into the shop the first time because we didn't know what we were doing. The shop guy detuned her board exactly the same was as our other ones, just filed a little at the tip and tail where the board curves to prevent catchiness. She's been riding it ever since with no issues (other than ones brought on by our inexperience and general beginner suckiness).

So, um... why not detune it like you would any other board and let her ride it and see what she thinks? :dunno:

ridinbend 02-18-2014 06:15 PM

My wife went from the camber roxy eminence to the gnu ladies choice. I did not detune the mag and she has had no problems. Her skill level is intermediate and I have seen nothing but progression on the c2. I personally have never met anyone that detune the mag and have a ton of buddies that ride lib.

ekb18c 02-18-2014 06:36 PM

Why would you detune the magnatraction?

I think you want to detune the contact points on the c2-btx profile? The part at the tip and tail that actually touches the ground?

Even then I don't think you need to detune the contact points on the libs especially since she is coming from a camber board. The c2btx will feel loose already to her.

NZRide 02-18-2014 06:50 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I think the upshot of these messages, is to let her do a day and see how it feels for her, its good to hear that people don't necessarily feel the need to detune them out of the wrapper.
If she doesn't like it for some reason, I'll do a mild detune on the first night.

andrewdod 02-18-2014 07:25 PM

I didn't detune my carbon credit either, took it out of the sleeve and pretty much rode. I don't find it catchy at all... matter of fact... i dont think ive caught on it yet *knock on wood*