Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Jones Aviator vs. Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129321-jones-aviator-vs-lib-tech-travis.html)

Abandon Gaia 02-18-2014 09:45 PM

Jones Aviator vs. Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro

hey everyone, I'm about to ordering a new board and testing is almost impossible here in Germany. Maybe you could help me out a little.

I'm a snowboard instructor and go splitboarding in my spare time. Had a Lib Tech Darker Series (and a Burton Custom X) for work and charging the groomers and I have my 2nd Jones Solution as a split by now and a Hovercraft for the deeper days.

My Lib Tech was stolen, so I need a new board for work. Since I've had only positive experiences with these brands, I have narrowed down my search to the following two boards, since they are still available in my size and pretty cheap at the moment:

- Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro
- Jones Aviator

my main criteria are: edge hold (locked-in feeling), stability (at higher speeds and landing bigger jumps), "euro-carving" ability, float in powder

I know, testing the board myself is always better, but there is no rental shop that has them and I need a new board for work next week.

hope you guys could help me out! thanks in advance!!!

Liampac70 02-19-2014 10:58 AM

I haven't rode the aviator but I have the t rice pro and it is amazing. the edge hold is obviously amazing since the magne traction edges they really work its not all a gimmick. the board is also pretty. stable at high speed. maybe not as stable as the custom x but it is very stable.

binarypie 02-19-2014 01:37 PM

If you like the solution/flagship you'll like the aviator.

My ongoing review:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...tor-152-a.html

Abandon Gaia 02-20-2014 03:14 PM

great review binarypie. thanks for the link. could you please tell me how the Aviator rides switch? As a snowboard instructor, I have to do that quite often and my eyes and mind is often focused on what the students do. I'm riding switch almost as good as regular, I can even ride my Hovercraft switch on groomers. however, I would prefer a board on which riding switch is not extremely difficult.

liampac70, could you please give me your experience with the Trice getting gradually softer and softer? I've read that a couple of times and I wonder whether it might get too soft considering my more aggressive riding style.

hmm, both seem to be really good boards. honestly, I still have no clue which one would fit my criteria best.

thanks again for your input!

binarypie 02-20-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abandon Gaia (Post 1558233)
great review binarypie. thanks for the link. could you please tell me how the Aviator rides switch? As a snowboard instructor, I have to do that quite often and my eyes and mind is often focused on what the students do. I'm riding switch almost as good as regular, I can even ride my Hovercraft switch on groomers. however, I would prefer a board on which riding switch is not extremely difficult.
thanks again for your input!

Now I've ridden my hover-split switch and that is not something I'd want to do for extended periods of time over variable terrain. So props to you on that.

As far as the Aviator goes. When ridding switch it will feel a little different because the board has a slight set-back. However, if you are used to riding directional boards this wont be anything new to you.

I have my stance closer to center than reference on my Aviator and I have no problem taking off and landing switch. I haven't done a ton of carving switch but since I'll be riding it this weekend (warm no snow days) I'll give you an honest review on Monday.

SnowDogWax 02-20-2014 04:06 PM

Never Summer for 2015 has a new board (Chairman) which has "euro-carving" ability, & float in powder. There is a thread on here with a partial review on the Chairman he also has a full review on the Never Summer Raptor.

SnowDogWax 02-20-2014 04:40 PM

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/nev...-groomers.html

Link for Raptor & Chairman:yahoo:

Abandon Gaia 02-20-2014 08:56 PM

@binarypie: riding a hovercraft switch on perfect groomers actually works, although it feels really awkward, of course.

@snowdogwax: I would really love to get hands on a Never Summer, but they are sooo hard to get here in Germany at an acceptable price. 800 Euros is definitely not an option at the moment

I'm close to making a choice between the Trice and the Aviator. however, there are two things that give me a headache:

1) a lot of people claim that the Lib Tech gets gradually softer over time. Is that true and does this have negative consequences for stability and pop?

2) there are not a lot of reviews of the Aviator out there, but one claims that the Aviator is kind of twitchy and unwieldy at slow speeds. since I'm a snowboard instructor, I often have to ride at slow speeds in a correctly executed way. might the Aviator be alittle like the Flagship, which is definitely designed for higher speeds and is kind of hard to ride at slow speeds?

would be really nice to get your first-hand experiences on these two topics.
thanks in advance, guys

binarypie 02-24-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abandon Gaia (Post 1559337)
@binarypie: riding a hovercraft switch on perfect groomers actually works, although it feels really awkward, of course.

@snowdogwax: I would really love to get hands on a Never Summer, but they are sooo hard to get here in Germany at an acceptable price. 800 Euros is definitely not an option at the moment

I'm close to making a choice between the Trice and the Aviator. however, there are two things that give me a headache:

1) a lot of people claim that the Lib Tech gets gradually softer over time. Is that true and does this have negative consequences for stability and pop?

2) there are not a lot of reviews of the Aviator out there, but one claims that the Aviator is kind of twitchy and unwieldy at slow speeds. since I'm a snowboard instructor, I often have to ride at slow speeds in a correctly executed way. might the Aviator be alittle like the Flagship, which is definitely designed for higher speeds and is kind of hard to ride at slow speeds?

would be really nice to get your first-hand experiences on these two topics.
thanks in advance, guys

0) Riding switch. Here is my quote from my review thread.
Quote:

Day 6: (Kirkwood) Soft snow in the morning with warm/wet snow in the afternoon
Feb 22nd. Slushy day hanging out with intermediate snowboarders. Spent the day riding switch to get a better feel for the board. Riding switch does feel a little strange since the board is directional and my stance is set back a little bit. However, I had no issues carving. While it isn't as fluid as the mountain twin it is completely acceptable for me.
2) At slower speeds the aviator is a little catchy but if you are an advanced rider who has a good sense of edge feel I don't think you'll have much of an issue. It is a camber board so keep that in mind. You don't get the forgiveness of a reverse camber or hybrid camber board.
If you do find the contact points too touchy I would suggest detuning them just slightly to give yourself a little more wiggle room before the edge catches.