Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Valuing Used Snowboards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129401-valuing-used-snowboards.html)

Cheung 02-19-2014 08:40 AM

Valuing Used Snowboards

Hi all,

Been a lurker for the past few months on this forum, but recently joined! :)

I'm looking to finally purchase my first set-up! :yahoo: I only started snowboarding this year, but so far I've been hooked. (Lol, managed to hit the slopes 11 times already in 2 months.)

Anyhow, after reading many topics here about board recommendations, I think I should shoot for an intermediate set-up? Ideally, I'd want my set-up to last for the next 2 seasons at least.

My plan is to buy new boots. The general consensus I got is: "Splurge on the boots and skimp on the boards/bindings if I need to."

With that being said, I've been looking around at some used boards/bindings. I'm wondering how to value a used board to determine if it's worth the $?

For example, would something like this be a good or bad deal?

Never Summer SL 151 cm and Rome 390 Boss/Targa Bindings - Markham / York Region Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji Markham / York Region Canada.

Thanks for all your help! :bowdown:

slyder 02-19-2014 08:57 AM

No expert but for 3 yr old bindings at $120 I feel that is ridiculous high.
NS board 3 yrs old for $200 you can almost get last years on clearance never used for that.

I find Craigslist usually quite high, you need to look for the good deals or meet the guy and make him a reasonable offer.

My gear sells very fast on CL as my prices are to sell not make money but to offset the next upgrade

surfinsnow 02-19-2014 09:13 AM

I bought my first complete set-up at Sports Authority for about $350 bucks. Board, bindings, boots, even gloves. Package deal. It was all K2 stuff (Liquid...don't think they exist anymore), not exactly a snowboard brand, but it was actually good equipment and served me well for one season...I rode the hell out of it, learned a lot, and sold it the board and bindings for $150 the next year after I bought a high-end freeride board at a year-end clearance. I think you can do way better with the money you have to spend, especially this time of year. The mountain shops will only have minor discounts, but major retailers will be practically giving stuff away to make room for the spring/summer stuff.

SimonB 02-19-2014 09:20 AM

At 280$ for the package, I'd say it's a fair price assuming it is in good condition as described.

For me, used gear need to be at least 60-70% off of regular price to be worth it.

New 390 Boss: ~ 300$
New NS SL: ~520
Total: 820$

slyder: don't forget he's in Canada. Prices are often higher right off the bat and we rarely see clearance like you see in the U.S. And shipping price from a US dealer often kills the deal.

Cheung 02-19-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonB (Post 1553761)
At 280$ for the package, I'd say it's a fair price assuming it is in good condition as described.

For me, used gear need to be at least 60-70% off of regular price to be worth it.

New 390 Boss: ~ 300$
New NS SL: ~520
Total: 820$

slyder: don't forget he's in Canada. Prices are often higher right off the bat and we rarely see clearance like you see in the U.S. And shipping price from a US dealer often kills the deal.

I ended up asking the seller for a few more close-up photos.

Edit: There's a small gouge on the base of the board. Seller said it was repaired, and hasn't affected performance on the board.