Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Ride Highlife UL stance for trees (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129417-ride-highlife-ul-stance-trees.html)

Panduri 02-19-2014 09:22 AM

Ride Highlife UL stance for trees

Hi all,
I got the new Highlife, it is a blast on groomers and powder, but in trees I am having real trouble controlling it. It is too fast and I just can't get a good hold on it in steeper deep pow woods. Could it be my stand?
I am 179 cm and use to ride 21'' on my Machete GT with +15/-6. On groomers and pow I felt that the Highlife 'demands' a wider stance so I set it to 22'' (its default stance width). Do you think I should go back to 21'' probably shifting only the front foot backwards? what about the angles? Do you think if I set the back foot close to 0 it will help me navigate better in tight trees?

redlude97 02-19-2014 11:39 AM

Most likely what you are experiencing is the larger radius sidecut the Highlife has. Its made for pointing and riding big lines and will never be as agile in the trees as say the Berzerker or your Machete GT. Stance probably won't have too much of an effect. Your are simply going to have to power the board through turns more

Panduri 02-20-2014 04:33 AM

Thanks red, also was thinking about the different camber in the tail: Machete has rocker in the tail, while the Highlife is all camber there. Anyway in your opinion the stance won't help and I just have to out-muscle it with brute force?

spino 02-20-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panduri (Post 1557017)
Thanks red, also was thinking about the different camber in the tail: Machete has rocker in the tail, while the Highlife is all camber there. Anyway in your opinion the stance won't help and I just have to out-muscle it with brute force?

i have a totally different board (a volkl selecta) but i tried both 21/-3 and 18/-6 and i found the latter much harder to manouver in the trees.
so much that next time i will try 24/-3.

it might prove itself useless, but adjusting bindings is such a trivial task that i think it is definitely worth a try.

Panduri 02-20-2014 05:41 AM

Probably it depends on both the board and the stance... With the Machete I felt perfectly fine with the 15/-6

redlude97 02-20-2014 10:27 AM

I'm not saying stance won't make a difference, but that its mostly the board you are feeling. Stance setup is mostly personal preference and I ride the same stance on all my boards +/- 1/2". The highlife is never going to be agile in the trees, it wasn't make for that.

scotty100 02-20-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlude97 (Post 1554673)
Most likely what you are experiencing is the larger radius sidecut the Highlife has. Its made for pointing and riding big lines and will never be as agile in the trees as say the Berzerker or your Machete GT. Stance probably won't have too much of an effect. Your are simply going to have to power the board through turns more

This. I had the 2012/13 highlife for a few months before selling it. The thing is a point and shoot beast. Too stiff for me. It's a nice board but not enough torsional flex to make it agile enough for my very average riding skills!

SnowDogWax 02-20-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty100 (Post 1557785)
This. I had the 2012/13 highlife for a few months before selling it. The thing is a point and shoot beast. Too stiff for me. It's a nice board but not enough torsional flex to make it agile enough for my very average riding skills!

Ditto :) Had same board 159W Highlife last year. Called it my morning rocket. Sold it also.

Panduri 02-20-2014 04:41 PM

Wow, everyone is selling the HL after trying it... doesn't it get any better after some time?
I bought it for this reason - to have a super fast powder board beside my Machete, but didn't expect it to behave that clumsy. I would suggest it is my riding skills thought, I hope it will be better when I get used to it.

SnowDogWax 02-20-2014 04:47 PM

I live on Ice Coast + I'm 6'3" 230LBS so was the 159W just was the wrong size for me.