Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Stick for my Guy (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129537-stick-my-guy.html)

Portside79 02-19-2014 02:45 PM

Stick for my Guy

I finally managed to get out on a hill and got my guy to join me and he's been loving it. If there's snow next year, think we could certainly be hitting the slopes quite often. I'd like to pick up a board for him.

He's been taking lessons all season on those Burton LTR boards, 155cm.

He rides normal, front foot at 9, back foot at 3.
Likes to feel in control and is not a speed demon (yet).
He's 6'1", 177lbs.
Wears a size 12 boot.

This is where I'm getting stuck. I know that if he wore a 13 he would most definitely need a wide board, 11 would more than likely be a regular board. Also, of possible note and consideration, his left foot is a bit weaker from his right.

Think he'd be good with a board somewhere between a beginner and intermediate. Would really like to find something for him that he could easily have fun with and has some room to grow. I'd rather not get halfway through the season next year and start looking at a new board (not that I have any experience with that) as his skills/confidence increase.

We're on the east coast, so generally there's much more ice and slush, but this season has been phenomenal (for the east coast).

Any thoughts/recs would be greatly appreciated.

peace.

speedjason 02-19-2014 02:48 PM

try bigger angles for the bindings.

Riley212 02-19-2014 03:21 PM

Arbor Blacklist, its a midwide so it fits his feet, its not to expensive, its soft enough to be forgiving and works for all types of riding

Portside79 02-19-2014 03:43 PM

Not sure if he'd be up to the level of the Arbor Blacklist and really want to give him a good ride that's not too ornery. Not sure how far on the Advanced side it is... Like the idea of a Midwide tho.

Does anyone have any experience with a DC Tone Midwide?
The only other Midwides that I'm coming across are Rossignols...

ICary 02-19-2014 03:53 PM

I'm 6'2" 161 with a size 12 foot. Kinda similar. I rock a wide board. Just saying.

Portside79 02-19-2014 03:56 PM

What is your preference?

element 02-19-2014 04:35 PM

at size 11 boots - i was on a 161 raygun comfortably.
a 158 slayblade was a little on the thin size.
Could try the 161 raygun for him? Nice intermediate board that goes everywhere and keeps gettin good reviews. I liked it a lot.

But yes - would be more comfortable w/ more angle.
If he's stickin w/ those angles - may be forced into wide...

nsrider121 02-19-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portside79 (Post 1555689)
Not sure if he'd be up to the level of the Arbor Blacklist and really want to give him a good ride that's not too ornery. Not sure how far on the Advanced side it is... Like the idea of a Midwide tho.

Does anyone have any experience with a DC Tone Midwide?
The only other Midwides that I'm coming across are Rossignols...

Rossis are really good boards with great value. Most of them have magna traction which will help a lot on ice.

ICary 02-19-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portside79 (Post 1555793)
What is your preference?

I'm a Ride Snowboards kinda guy. So I'm rocking the Ride Kink in a 156W for my softer playful park board. Iv gotten 50Mph on it it's a soft flex for jibbing but stable at high speeds to me it's the flat profile I think it's on point. Then I have my Ride Buck Up 157w for big jumps.

Is suggest a Ride Machete for your dude at a 157W he's golden in my eyes.

Note: my riding and style is different. I'm an odd ball so. But ya check out the machete. Good at everything great at nothing.

hender214 02-20-2014 12:01 PM

K2 WWW really forgiving board and great fun handles well in powder and on piste