Considering size for Jones Flagship - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering size for Jones Flagship

I'm 5'10" and 165lbs size 9 boots.

Last year, I had a Nidecker Ultralight 163 I it worked well for me in everything. I think with the camrock profile it definitely rode small...it was also not very stiff.

This year I've only been on a Rossignol XV Magtek 163. Has a similar hybrid camber profile and effective edge but is a lot stiffer and I remember at the beginning of the season thinking it wasn't as nimble in the trees as I would have liked. After 25 days on it, I don't really think about that anymore and I'm still liking to board in general.

I'm considering a Flagship (Carbon in particular) but am debating on size between the 161 and 164. In the end, I must admit that I spend most of time at my resort (Fernie, BC) so am thinking the 161 is the safe way to go for riding trees and bumps. But then I start thinking the extra edge would be nice for carving and do even better on cat trips or deep days.

Can't get demos on a board like this (around here anyways) so for the cost, its a bit of a gamble and I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had first hand experience. Maybe even comparing to other boards? I've demo'd a BSOD recently and could compare to that as well.

Thanks
Sprockett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockett View Post
I'm 5'10" and 165lbs size 9 boots.

Last year, I had a Nidecker Ultralight 163 I it worked well for me in everything. I think with the camrock profile it definitely rode small...it was also not very stiff.

This year I've only been on a Rossignol XV Magtek 163. Has a similar hybrid camber profile and effective edge but is a lot stiffer and I remember at the beginning of the season thinking it wasn't as nimble in the trees as I would have liked. After 25 days on it, I don't really think about that anymore and I'm still liking to board in general.

I'm considering a Flagship (Carbon in particular) but am debating on size between the 161 and 164. In the end, I must admit that I spend most of time at my resort (Fernie, BC) so am thinking the 161 is the safe way to go for riding trees and bumps. But then I start thinking the extra edge would be nice for carving and do even better on cat trips or deep days.

Can't get demos on a board like this (around here anyways) so for the cost, its a bit of a gamble and I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had first hand experience. Maybe even comparing to other boards? I've demo'd a BSOD recently and could compare to that as well.

Thanks

I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. 9.5 boot.

I've owned the Carbon Flagship 161 last year and this year I sized down to the 158. I prefer the 158 over the 161 in every single way.

I was worried about losing float and the like. However, I didn't have that problem. At your weight I'd go with the 161.

I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,349
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
WAIT! Wait til you try some of my crazy boards. I had the Prior Khyber 165 out in DEEP powder at Kicking Horse this weekend, it was lots of fun. Tons of float, fun in the trees, very flickable board.

The Virus 160 was more flickable, but that may be because I've got it setup with even more setback than reference stance.

What stance do you ride? We may do KH or Fernie again next weekend. What is Fernie like right now?
poutanen is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the input binarypie. Curious actually, could you guess how much static camber is on your carbon flagship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
WAIT! Wait til you try some of my crazy boards. I had the Prior Khyber 165 out in DEEP powder at Kicking Horse this weekend, it was lots of fun. Tons of float, fun in the trees, very flickable board.

The Virus 160 was more flickable, but that may be because I've got it setup with even more setback than reference stance.

What stance do you ride? We may do KH or Fernie again next weekend. What is Fernie like right now?
Have you ridden a Flagship poutanen?

I'm currently setback a long way on the XV. Likely 35mm or more...I'm beyond the reference I think. Stance is 22.5" wide, goofy, +18 front and 0/+5 back. I'm looking for a single board for everything. I feel like I can't consider a powder specific board like that Prior as they just don't do well enough all round to kill a quiver.

I demo'd a 2014 BSOD this weekend and didn't think it stacked up to the XV for how I ride. Felt too soft and the stance was too centered for me which made the nose feel even weaker.

The Virus certainly interests me from your description but just seems like too much of a pain to source...also makes the Carbon Flagship look cheap

Fernie was hard to complain about this weekend. Fresh snow everyday and big dumps waiting on Sunday and Monday mornings. My friend at KH said there was a 45min for the gondola on Saturday? He was happy with getting in 5 runs for the day...I took 5 lifts before 9am in knee deep pow on Sunday morning and I think I spent 10min in line once?

Still snowing in Fernie most of the week...looks a little cold this weekend though. I'm in Fernie Saturday. Heading the Kicking Horse Sunday for my daughter's race but likely won't have too much time to ride

Last edited by Sprockett; 02-20-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Sprockett is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:35 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have my board here in the city but i'll take some photos for you this weekend.

I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks.

For comparison sake, my XV has likely 5mm about while the BSOD I demo'd had maybe 2mm.
Sprockett is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:57 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not to thread jack, but what bindings do you run on the XV?
ksup3erb is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flow 2013 NX2-AT. Just received new NX2-RS but haven't mounted them yet.
Sprockett is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. Was curious since I'm looking for bindings for my Experience. Rear entry isn't my cup of tea these days.
ksup3erb is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 4,785
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 4
After my excitment for my wooden Flagship, hubby got a Carbon 164 @ 190lbs. His comment: been waiting for such a board for 20y . Since it's still pretty new, I haven't had the chance yet to try it... he wont share it yet
But he has similar impressions about it being "bit of work" in bumps as I have with mine. However, so much fun to ride pow and charge good groomer.

"Yeah... no, that's not clumsiness, that's just being topographically challenged" ~ Noreaster
neni is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome