Need opinions on my broken snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need opinions on my broken snowboard

Just got a new board and ended up snapping the nose on a metal pole during a trail. Not very happy right now and it seems that every google search ends with ditching the board and getting a new one. I was hoping to get your advice on the damage, I'm not a hardcore snowboarder and just like to ride down the trails, is there any chance that I can salvage this?

Snowboard - Imgur[1]

Thank you in advance
Streetguy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

So if it actually a 'new' board, you can talk to the company. That doesn't seem to be the case based on those pictures unless the little scruffs and what appears to be natural wear is just the result of your crash (and considering it looks like you took a jigsaw to the nose of your board that's not too far fetched). So first option if it's new is to talk to the manufacturer/shop. If not, that board is pretty much toast.
Naturesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

(Joking, but also wondering how the hell you managed to do that...)

Last edited by cerebroside; 02-20-2014 at 06:08 PM.
cerebroside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturesabre View Post
So if it actually a 'new' board, you can talk to the company. That doesn't seem to be the case based on those pictures unless the little scruffs and what appears to be natural wear is just the result of your crash (and considering it looks like you took a jigsaw to the nose of your board that's not too far fetched). So first option if it's new is to talk to the manufacturer/shop. If not, that board is pretty much toast.
What is a shop or manufacturer going to do? They're going to go you ran into something and its your fault.

Yes the board more than likely is toast. Now here is your saving grace if you're a DIYer you can salvage it. Get a jigsaw, router, and some sealant because you're giving your board its own unique nose shape. If you're not a DIYer I suggest just getting really drunk and crying.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
What is a shop or manufacturer going to do? They're going to go you ran into something and its your fault.

Yes the board more than likely is toast. Now here is your saving grace if you're a DIYer you can salvage it. Get a jigsaw, router, and some sealant because you're giving your board its own unique nose shape. If you're not a DIYer I suggest just getting really drunk and crying.
Do any snowboard companies have crash replacement policies? I know Giro used to have it for helmets and some mountainbike companies do it for frames.
Otherwise, pretending to pass this as a warranty issue would be BS.
the grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was just saying he might get a new one out of it if it he thinks it could be argued as a defect. I don't see something that extreme being 'normal' for hitting a pole, but he coulda been going real fast so fair enough. I was also going to say just make it into a crazy shaped nose/tail but I'e never done anything like that so I know nothing about it
Naturesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smokin has a "bummer" replacement policy which is a special lower rate to replace your board no matter how it got damaged (within the warranty period)

Last edited by cav0011; 02-20-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: fix info
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I dunno you could always epoxy it up and switch your bindings around and ride it backwards. Is the NAS a directional? Might not ride that different and you could get another season out of it. Only thing I could think of short of cutting or buying a new one...
Fewdfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

cut the back end off and seal it up and ride it as a directional.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturesabre View Post
I was just saying he might get a new one out of it if it he thinks it could be argued as a defect. I don't see something that extreme being 'normal' for hitting a pole, but he coulda been going real fast so fair enough. I was also going to say just make it into a crazy shaped nose/tail but I'e never done anything like that so I know nothing about it
Just stop. Seriously stop. I can see the hamster in your brain is trying to run on the wheel but no. There is no fucking defect that's a straight impact. It split the seam of the core causing one side to go up and the other to go down. The force of it broke through the topsheet and the base. They'll take one look at that and just laugh.

The best thing to do is cut a V into the tip and seal it or put a pop rivet right after the end of that split so it stops it cold from getting longer. After that comes some serious work of ptexing the base, sealing the topsheet so it doesn't allow moisture in and in the end it's going to look ugly as fuck.